Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Selecting a Cycling Plan

After much thought, I have decided not to design my own cycling training plan.  As a performance coach, I specialize in training athletes whose sports are reliant upon power, i.e. baseball, basketball, football, softball...you get the picture, right?  Mountain biking, as do most cycling disciplines, falls into the category of endurance sports.  While power is necessary, cycling is highly dependent on the ability to maintain (endure) a high level of output for extended periods of time.  I have designed my own training plans for 24-hour races in the past, but always felt as though something were lacking.  For this race, I will rely on someone else to design my cycling plan however, I will continue to design my own strength training and recovery workouts to integrate into the overall program. 

After much research I found an online coaching plan that addresses my specific needs, and didn't require me to sell any body parts to pay for it!  LW Coaching is a relatively small coaching site run by Lynda Wallenfels, an accomplished mountain bike professional.  Originally, I looked into Carmichael Training Systems, well known for training Lance Armstrong over the years, but their pricing schedule was beyond what I was willing to shell out...nearly $200/month for online coaching! 

My next step will be to compile all of my stats (bodyfat, calorie requirements, etc) so that I can develop a systematic performance plan that addresses my needs.

Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment