Friday, June 3, 2011

91 Days and Counting...

Today's workout involved a mountain bike ride...yep, that's right...I finally got back on my bike today!  Anyway...today's ride was great!  It was actually a real confidence booster.  My lackluster performance in Prescott left me wondering if I was in really bad shape, even after all of the training I have been doing.  

Today I rode in Laguna Canyon, where many pro riders train, due to the amount of climbing available, and the resulting training benefits.  Whenever I go ride a new area, I always get nervous.  Not nervous about crashing, but nervous that I don't have what it takes to make the ride.  I mean come on, I don't want to look stupid, or out of shape in front of anyone...you should all know that by now! 

This area is not entirely new to me...I have ridden here once before, but it was quite some time ago, and honestly I did not remember much about the trail system, in terms of difficulty.  So yes, I was nervous as I geared up at the trail head, and prepared to ride.  

The trail head is accessed by riding through a park,a park that is downhill from the parking area.  That means that you have to climb back out of the park when you are finished riding...and tired!  I had forgotten exactly which way to go, so I asked another rider who was getting ready to hit the trails also.  He seemed like a nice guy, and offered to lead me in.  Great.  More nervousness.  As we rode down into the park together, I took note of his bike...a very nice Specialized 29er.  So here I am, riding into the trail system with a guy that I am sure is in phenomenal shape (because he rides these trails all the time), getting more and more nervous as we near the entrance into the trails.  

As we are riding in, he recommends that I ride the Cholla trail, which will lead to the West Ridge Trail, which will then take me to the Top of the World.  Top of the World is the highest point on the canyon ridge, which overlooks Laguna, and the Pacific Ocean...a beautiful sight!  Anyway...he then tells me that he is going that way, and "we should just ride together".  Great...the nervousness is pretty much at it's peak now.  Oh well.  

As we enter the Cholla trail, my new riding buddy heads out first, in the little ring.  You are probably wondering what the heck that means, huh?  Let me explain.  Mountain bikes have many different gears...in fact, mine has 27 different gears.  Each specific gear is determined by combinations of the front chain rings, and the rear cassette.  More explanation needed huh?  The cassette is a grouping of cogs that is attached to the rear wheel.  Chain rings are cogs that are attached to the pedals.  The chain rings and cassette are attached via the chain.  As you pedal, the chain transmits force to the cassette, thereby causing the rear wheel to turn, and the bike to move forward.  Sooo....it is common for there to be three chain rings on mountain bikes.  One of the rings is large, and referred to as the 'big ring'.  The middle ring is smaller, and the little ring is even smaller.  When climbing steep terrain, the smaller the ring being used up front, and the larger cog on the cassette in the rear, creates a low gear, making it easier (and often possible) to climb.  Whew!

The Cholla trail takes riders from the bottom of the canyon up towards the ridge...so needless to say, it is a climb.  Not only is it a climb, it is a rude introduction to the climb, as there is virtually no warmup...its just straight into heavy duty, steep climbing.  So, as we are climbing Cholla, I notice that my riding partner is breathing very heavy...very quickly.  I also note that I am climbing in my middle ring...which means that I am working a little harder than him...yet not breathing too heavy, and actually having to ease up in order not to run in to his back wheel.  

We reach the top of the climb, and stop so that he can catch his breath.  I thank him for guiding me, and head out.  As I  reach the top of the next climb, I look back and see him still in the same spot that I left him.  This is what helped me regain some confidence.  I was glad to know that I could hang with the locals, and even ride away from one of them. 

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I'm sorry I didn't get that story earlier - I must have had too much on my mind... Anyway it's got thrills and chills so job well done both on the bike and in writing about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That canyon makes me more envious of our cousins than even the golf! Great write up John I would love a video or pictures of the trails.

    ReplyDelete