Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Iliotibial Band Syndrome...part of getting old I suppose!

Yesterday I had planned to ride for three hours on the course that I will be racing on in January.  Unfortunately, my three hour ride turned into just under 1 1/2 hours due to some pretty nasty pain in my left IT Band.   I noticed on my second lap, and it just never went away.  I elected to shut it down after only two laps around the course, to prevent it from worsening.

Those of you who are runners or cyclists are most likely familiar with IT Band pain, and understand just how long it can hang around.  I figured I had better take it easy on it so as not to risk not being able to train.  For those of you who have not had IT Band pain, or don't even know what it is, here is a very brief lesson on IT Bands.

The Iliotibial Band (IT Band) is a thick piece of fascia that runs down the lateral aspect of each thigh.  It's origin is a small muscle known as the TFL (tensor fascia latae), which is located in the front/lateral aspect of the hip, just up and over from the hip flexors.  The IT Band runs the length of the upper leg, and crosses the knee joint (on the lateral aspect), where it attaches to the tibia, just below the lateral condyle (the bony prominence on the lateral aspect of the knee).  During repetitive exercises such as running and cycling, the IT Band rubs back and forth across the lateral condyle, creating inflammation...and often times, excruciating pain. 



During my most recent 24-hour race, I over-stressed my hip flexors and TFL, thus causing a tightening of my IT Band.  When the ITB tightens, it creates greater amounts of friction on the lateral condyle...and produces pain.  Unfortunately, once the pain begins, it is usually too late to do anything about it other than cease the activity that is causing the pain.  Well....let me tell you that there was no way I was going to stop, and let down my team mates during our 24 hour race!  So...my choice to continue resulted in a great deal of progressive IT Band tightness...and pain.  The deep tissue massage that I received the other day helped to alleviate some of the tightness and discomfort...but not all of it.
 
Training with IT Band Pain...or IT Band Syndrome (as it is officially referred to) is somewhat like walking a tight-rope.  It must be done very carefully so as not to cause more damage than good.  This requires a great deal of 'therapy' to manage the symptoms as well as the cause.  Fortunately I have a fair amount of knowledge in this area, and I should be able to take car of it on my own.  If not...I'm looking at $40 a session with a Physical Therapist!  



The good news is that (other than my ITB pain) I felt really good on my ride yesterday.  My lungs felt good and it was a nice change to be able to ride without my sinuses feeling like they were full of fluid...because they were!  I am confident that I will be able to perform well on my very first (and quite possibly my last) attempt at a solo 12-hour race.  I just need to figure out what is most important for me...to try and ride continuously for the 12-hour duration, or to pace myself by riding three or four laps, then taking a break to eat and hydrate...alternating like that throughout the 12-hours.  Either way, its going to be a tremendous amount of work, that I am sure I will pay for in the days following the race!

Oh by the way...I will be receiving my third frame from Ellsworth tomorrow!  It's time to build it up again.  The light weight of that racing frame will be very helpful in this 12-hour race format.

Thanks for reading!  Check back in a few days for the latest update.










No comments:

Post a Comment