Monday, November 7, 2011

Another Race to Prepare For

Wow, it seems like an eternity since I last blogged!  I was very surprised when I opened up my blog to find that people are still reading it...in fact I was very honored.  Well, even though I have a number of other items on my plate...actually, I think I have a number of plates, and each of them are overflowing...I thought I would start writing again.  You see, I have a couple of races coming up and I thought that I would share those experiences with anyone who cared to read about them.  I will not be nearly as prolific in my writing (a promise that I will make to my wife) this time around, but I will do my best to share on a regular basis.

So..."what races do I have coming up?" you ask.  Well...in light of the fact that I did not get to participate in the 2011 World Police and Fire Games, I am planning to compete in 2013...in Belfast, Ireland.  Yep, that's right...Ireland!  I suppose traveling with my bike to New York was simply good practice for an international trip with my bike...I'm hoping so at least!



I also have a race coming up in the next few months...January 7, 2012 to be exact.  It is the annual '12-hours in the Papago' 12-hour mountain bike race.  I competed in this event last year, as a member of a four man team.  This year however, I am planning to step up my game somewhat, and ride it alone...just me and my bike, turning as many 6 1/2 mile laps as possible over the course of twelve hours.  I have been asked already "Why would you do such a thing?"  I suppose my answer is similar to the famous response used by many a mountain climber..."because it is there".  



I am closing in fast on becoming fifty years old, and the way I see it, my window of opportunity for accomplishing certain things in life is slowly closing.  I know what many of you are thinking...really, I do.  Many of you are thinking that I have succumbed to mid-life crisis huh?  Well, that's not exactly the case.  You see, I wont be trading in my trusty Honda Element for a fancy convertible sports car (although I have been eying the new Range Rover Evoque!) or swapping out my extremely hot 40-something wife for two non-stop texting 20-somethings (the thought of that actually makes me cringe)...nope, this is all about staying healthy, active, and hopefully inspiring as I enter into the later stages of my life...and doing it through a sport that I absolutely love...mountain biking.



I also feel as sense of obligation to a small company who was gracious enough to provide me with a pro-level sponsorship....Ellsworth Handcrafted Bikes.  Due to the cancellation of my event in the Police and Fire Games, I was not able to 'pay them back' so to speak.  I am a firm believer in the importance of loyalty, and I would like to think that I am a man of integrity.  As such, I would like to give back to the company that helped to support me and my dream of competing.  The race in January will be a good opportunity to do that, whether I reach the podium or not.  



My training for the Games was designed specifically for cross country racing, which is usually 10-15 miles.  While many would consider that a test of endurance, it is just a sprint when compared to the task of riding a bike for 12-hours...a mountain bike.  So...my training will need to be adjusted...quickly!  Starting tomorrow, I have 61 days until race day...not much time to train, but what the heck.

So wish me luck on my first 12-Hour Solo race...it should be interesting! 






1 comment: