Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Some Recent Rides...

I have been on a number of rides since I last checked in here, but today I will only share one of those rides with you all.

The Little Colorado River, just outside our cabin
It was the morning of December 8th...our 16th wedding anniversary.  Donna and I were celebrating our big day in Greer, Arizona.  For those of you who have never been to Greer, or have never heard of it...it's a quiet little mountain town, nestled among the White Mountains in Northeast Arizona.  Greer gets it's fair share of snow every winter....I know, those of you who are not from Arizona cannot imagine that us 'desert dwellers' get any of that white stuff.  Believe me though...the Northern parts of our great state get plenty!

OK, back to the story already!

We rented a cabin for a few days, and of course I took my bike...I'm in training, remember?  I planned to get in a few rides while we were there, taking advantage of some altitude training (although there is some question as to whether or not there is really much benefit to that...but that's another story!)  I was prepared for the cold weather, having brought all of my cold weather riding gear, including my very expensive GORE winter riding gloves.

I got a lot of funny looks heading north with this setup!

I waited for the sun to come out from behind the mountains before I ventured out.  I figured it would be too cold to ride in the shadows...hmm.  The 'rides' I was planning wouldn't be trail rides, as the trails were all covered in snow and ice.  I was planning on riding the 373 (aka "The Road to Nowhere") out to the 273 and back...about 16-miles all in all.  I topped of the air in my tires, threw my hydration pack on, donned my beanie and helmet, and hit the road.

About a mile into my ride I noticed that my hands were already getting cold!  "No biggie" I thought.  I've felt that before, and my hands have always warmed up after my blood gets pumping.  Today however, would be quite different.  My education in exercise science made me aware that, while you may not feel like you need to drink often during cold weather exercising, it is very important to do so.  So...at about mile number two, I decided to take a quick sip of water from my Camelbak...only to find that the water in the hose and bite valve had frozen over.  It was at that point that I should have turned back...but you know me.



I kept riding for another mile, making some short but steep climbs, all the while feeling the 8200+ feet of altitude, and the ever increasing pain in my hands.  I passed by the Greer Fire Station and thought, for a moment, about stopping in and saying hello to my brethren...all in an attempt to get warm...but my legs kept pedaling.  There was an apparent disconnect between my brain and my body...probably caused in part by a frozen brain, and the hypoxia I was experiencing due to the 'thin air'.

Shortly after passing by the warm fire station, I decided it would be be wise (certainly much wiser than my choice to ride in the first place) to head back to the cabin.  As I turned, so too did the wind!  I was riding into a gentle but freezing cold head-wind on the way out, and wouldn't you know, on the way back I found I was riding into that same wind!  By this time, I could not feel three of my fingers on my right hand, and two on my left hand...it was like they weren't there.  Thoughts of frost-bite were now freely roaming around in my mind, as the hypoxia increased, and my ability to think clearly began to diminish. 

I finally made it back to the cabin...my ride was only six miles, but it felt like sixty!  As I made my way up the short set of steps and onto the patio, all I could think about was just how much my hands were going to hurt as they defrosted.  You all know what I'm talking about right?  We've all experienced the painful sting as our hands return to normal temperature after being in the cold for a short time.  Well....multiply that by at least 100, and you will have some idea of what I was going through.

As I walked through the door, Donna (unaware that I was hurting) looked at me and let out one of those little sorrowful laughs.  You see, I looked as though I had just finished a marathon, and I had snot frozen to my nose and upper lip...yeah, it wasn't a pretty sight!

I began to peel the layers of clothing off, removing my helmet, beanie, and gloves.  The instant those gloves came off, and the heat being radiated by the, highly efficient, fire place hit my skin, the pain set in...full strength!  I was truly reeling in pain...it felt as though someone were forcing my to hold my hands on a burner...it was excruciating!

The pain lasted about 30-minutes, then finally subsided.  I was amazed at what had happened, as it didn't feel that cold when I walked outside.  I checked the weather on my trusty iPhone, only to find that it was 11 degrees when I left!  I wont make that mistake again.






2 comments:

  1. Jeez John,
    Of all the people out there, I wouldn't have expected that from you. I have come to know you as someone that is uber prepared. It sounds like you were prepared, but over estimated the effect of the weather.

    anyhow, I am happy your fine.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...maybe I'm slipping in my old age. I definitely underestimated just how cold it was.

    ReplyDelete