Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Here I go again...

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I last blogged, and I am feeling a bit rusty!  Many of you have never seen my blog before, so for those of you who are new...I'll give you all a very brief rundown of what has taken place here in the past.

Nearly two years ago, I decided I would enter a mountain bike race...but not just ANY mountain bike race!  Nope...I went big right out of the gate...I signed up to race in the 2011 World Police and Fire Games.  The WPFG attracts firefighter and law enforcement 'athletes' from all over the world, to compete in over 60 different events.  Believe it or not, the WPFG are the second largest multi-sport event in the world...second only to the Summer Olympic Games!  So yeah...it's kind of a big deal.

Anyway...I chose to use this platform to chronicle my journey towards competition.  I had some weight to lose, and some riding shape to get into...so I figured this would provide some level of accountability for me.  And...it did!

I trained for roughly 9-months, and shared virtually every detail of my journey along the way.  By September 2011, I was in peak physical condition, and ready to compete.  Hurricane Irene (remember her?) however, wasn't feeling it.  You see, the 2011 WPFG were being held in New York, and the surrounding areas.  Irene decided she would come in and wreak havoc on New York and New Jersey, and effectively served to cancel a number of WPFG events...including Mountain Bike Racing! 

So...there you have it...but wait, this time it's different.  Last time it was all about me.  This time, it's all about someone else.  Sure, I'll be the subject of this chronicle however, the end result is me being prepared to ride a mountain bike 430 miles, in just four days. 

Why you ask?

To raise awareness and financial support for injured United States Marines, and their families.  I have committed to join the 2013 Ride 430 Team.  The Ride 430 Challenge is a non-profit cycling event that helps give America's injured military service members and their families, hope and assistance as they travel the road to recovery.




The Ride is a four-day, 430-mile challenge in which cyclists complete more than 100 miles per day, some of which are brutal mountain climbs.  In addition to training and completing the ride, each participant must raise funds for the cause.  The average rider raises more than $6,500 for this amazing cause; more per rider, than any event of it's kind.  The 2012 campaign raised nearly $500,000!

Money raised by the Ride 430 Challenge team supplements military assistance and bridges gaps to help injured service people and families who have lost loved ones, recover.  The funding helps provide everything from financial assistance, scholarships and adaptive sports equipment for injured heroes, to camps for kids who've lost a parent in combat.

It is truly an amazing organization, and I am proud to say that I am now part of the Ride 430 Challenge family.

So...over the next 12-months I will be sharing with each of you, my journey.  A journey that will be comprised of many different challenges including fundraising, sponsorship support, training, and of course...the Ride!

Let's talk about the ride...

This event is a road bike ride...yep, you heard right...a road bike ride.  I am not a road biker...or roadie, as the are affectionately referred to.  I am a mountain biker...remember?  In an attempt to hold true to my mountain biker roots, I have elected to complete this 430 mile ride on a mountain bike.  I know, I know, stupid huh?  Here's the real deal...

A friend of mine (Josh), has been a part of this event for the past two years.  He has raised an incredible amount of money...in fact, he raised nearly $50,000 this year alone!  He has held fundraising events at a wine bar...Brix Wine Spot...which is located in Cave Creek, Arizona.  The owner of Brix (Bryan) and I were talking one day about the ride.  In fact, he probably doesn't even remember the conversation.  Anyway...we were talking, and I told him that if he would do the ride, I would do it on a mountain bike.  Well....last week he apparently went 'all in' and has committed to ride next year.  So you all understand what that means right?  As a man of my word (whether he remembers it or not), I have now committed to participate as well...on a mountain bike.

So...in the coming months you will no doubt be asked to assist in some way (most likely financially) to help the Ride 430 Challenge team break yet another financial goal.  The 2013 Ride 430 Challenge ride is officially on YOUR radar screen!

Check out the Ride 430 Challenge by clicking on the link under the Check Out These Links ection on the right side of this page.



No comments:

Post a Comment