Tuesday, January 17, 2012

48 Hours in Panama...Part One

Alright, I'll be the first (and only) to admit that this blog post has absolutely nothing to do with race preparation...I was simply too lazy to develop a new blog for just one post, and I certainly was not going to change the title or layout of my current blog just to suit my desire to write about my travels!  That's just me...

Those of you who know me well, know that I have been in the process of becoming a Movement Coach for a cutting edge company called Tignum.  What you may not know is who Tignum is...or what Tignum does.  So let me quickly explain...

Tignum is the brainchild of a very good friend of mine...Scott Peltin...whom I originally met when he was put in charge of handling aspects of the tragic, on-duty death of my great friend (and fellow firefighter) Brett Tarver.  A year or so later, I had the opportunity to get to know Scott better during a firefighter fitness trainer class that he was instructing.  Scott and I developed a friendship over the years while he was still working as a Battalion Chief for the Phoenix Fire Department, and he quite graciously 'opened some doors' for me in the fitness and performance world.  

Scott retired from the fire service a few years back, after developing a 'first of its kind' business, that targets high-performers in the corporate world.  Tignum's model is similar to that which is applied to high performance athletes...providing them with specific tools that allow them to sustain levels of high performance.  I have tried to tell friends and family about this business in the past, and they typically respond by saying "Oh, it's a wellness company...that's a great fit for you".  "Well yes...it's a great fit...but no, it is not a wellness company" is my typical response.  You see, wellness companies focus on getting employees of various organizations to lose weight, decrease cholesterol, improve general health, etc.  The goal of a wellness company is really not about the employee...its about saving the company money by decreasing the costs associated with poor employee health.

Tignum however, is highly focused on the performance of the individual...or team of individuals, who are engaged in critical, often high-stress projects.  They identify these individuals as the critical one-percenters...and they are typically high-level executives of some of the largest and most productive companies around the world.  Thus Tignum's goal is to increase the potential and performance level of individuals or teams, that ultimately affect the performance of the company as a whole.

Imagine that your job (many of you don't need to imagine this...this is your job) requires a great deal of travel, high pressure situations, negotiations, presentations, etc.  How would you (or do you) prepare yourself for these day in and day out high-stress, high-pressure situations?  Are you on top of your game each and every time you are engaged in a negotiation or critical presentation?  Do you eat for performance?  Did you know that what you eat prior to a meeting...or how hydrated you are...or if you have had any exercise/movement prior to your meeting...or if you are well-rested, can have a huge impact on your performance?  This is where Tignum comes into play...it is about performance...not wellness.

So just where do I fit into this picture?  I know what you are thinking...believe me, I have thought it myself.  You are thinking "you don't have any experience in business...let alone big business"...and you are correct...I don't.  What I do have however, is over twenty-years of experience in high-pressure, chaotic, life or death situations that require me to be at my best, at a moment's notice.  To be able to direct and lead teams of highly specialized individuals during times of utter chaos, where success is measured not in profit or loss, but life or death...hmmm.  I also possess a high level of knowledge in the realm of human performance, and movement...which just so happens to be one of the foundations of the Tignum system...movement.

So there you have it...the who and what.  Now let's talk about the why...why I was in Panama, that is.

Over the past year, I have been being developed as a presenter and coach, through Tignum's coach-development training program.  This has been an eye-opening experience for me in a number of ways.  You see, I have been involved in teaching, training, and coaching for a number of years now.  I have developed the ability to comfortably speak and present before small and (relatively) large audiences, and consider myself to be one of the 'better' speakers and presenters within the fire service...at least the ones that I have had the opportunity to see over the years.  I am not trying to brag...just setting the stage for what I am about to tell you.  Being approached to become part of the Tignum team was, in and of itself, a huge honor for me, as they present to, and coach some heavy hitters in the business world.  Tignum's clients have high expectations, thus Tignum places even higher expectations on members of their team, refusing to put just anyone in front of their clients. 

What have I learned about my skills since being selected to participate in development training?  I have learned that, while I may be better than average in the fire service...I still need a great deal of training to hone my presentation skills for the level of clientele that Tignum caters to.  Understanding and accepting this has been a challenge...a hit to my ego, to be quite honest.  It has been a little painful...but what challenge worth taking on, isn't a little painful?

I am still in the development process with Tignum...I am not yet ready to be part of the presentation team, but I do however, possess the ability to participate in the testing process, as well as the teaching process of the Tignum program...hence my invitation to participate in their most recent program in Panama...working with a team of high level executives from Adidas' Latin America team.

Stay tuned for Part Two of this story...and find out just how it went!







No comments:

Post a Comment