Tuesday, January 24, 2012

48 Hours in Panama...The Conclusion!

Alrighteee then...let's wrap this thing up!

Dinner at Manolo Caracol was awesome!  It was an eight-course Tapas menu...however, I'm pretty sure we had at least ten courses!  All of the food was incredible, but my favorite was the pumpkin soup, which had a hefty chunk of lobster meat in it...very good!  We also had a very good bottle of Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon, which I selected from the most interesting wine list I have ever seen.  

This is a cool wine list!
The wine list was presented on a pizza peel.  For those of you who are not familiar with a pizza peel, it is the utensil used by pizza chefs and cooks to place pizza in, and remove it from the oven.  I am not sure if pizza is a staple of the Panamanian culture...but the peel made for a really cool wine list!

We called it a night fairly early...no partying in Panama City for us!  Scott and I had an early start the next morning, as we would be testing one more of the Adidas team who was unable to make it to testing the day before.  This individual's tests were slated to begin at 0600, which meant that I would need to be up by 0500, and downstairs to set up in the hotel fitness center by 530.  We would need to have testing wrapped by 0630, and on our way to Adidas HQ by 0700.  We were meeting with the team to introduce them to Daily Prep...you know, the light exercise program that we were supposed to do the day prior...but instead ended up jogging...and breaking my feet :)

The Hotel gym..nicer than many fitness clubs I've been too!
We arrived to find the room already set up for Daily Prep, complete with exercise mats and towels.  The only thing missing...tennis balls.  Yep, that's right, tennis balls.  We use tennis balls as tools to perform various self-massage techniques, that serve to improve blood flow to tired, achy, over-used muscles; 'turn on' under-active muscles, and improve both flexibility and mobility.  Quite the list of possibilities for such a basic little tool huh?

All set for Daily Prep

Daily Prep went off without a hitch...there were a few moans and groans as the group experienced the benefits of self-massage, or self myo-fascial release, as it is officially known.  This is to be expected, and honestly, if the moans and groans are not present...well, let's just say it's not being done right.  It shouldn't be overly painful, but it should hurt a little.  Tennis ball massage was followed by a series of light, dynamic stretches...which also elicited a few moans and groans as the group felt their bodies being tasked in a different manner than ever before.  

Once daily prep was completed, it was time to eat some breakfast, and say my goodbyes to the group.  I was scheduled to fly out a few hours later, as I was supposed to be back on duty at the fire station the next day.  Scott and Tanis however would be staying for one more day, taking the group through the rest of the program, which included presentations on mindset, nutrition, movement, and recovery techniques...all of which are designed to improve one's ability to maintain a high level of performance in the corporate world.  

It's really an amazing, visionary program, and I encourage you to visit the Tignum website for more information about what they do (www.tignum.com)

Please take a couple minutes of your time to watch these short videos that really paint a great picture of what it is that Tignum does.  I am confident that after watching these clips, you will see that this is not just another wellness program!  I know some of you out there who are reading this are part of this world...the world of the high-level executive, or you network with those who are.  I encourage you to look into this for yourselves, or pass this information along...it truly is an amazing concept that is long overdue, and has long been overlooked.





 


OK...enough of plugging Tignum...although I could go on and on about them!  Now, let's wrap up this story and put it to bed!

Remember my aching feet?  Well, let's just say that they were getting nothing but worse!  I brought two pairs of shoes with me to Panama...well, actually just one.  I brought my athletic shoes...Adidas of course!...and one pair of flip flops...hey, it was a casual trip!  Since my athletic shoes were the ones that resulted in my current foot predicament...I opted to wear the flip flops for my journey home.  In hind site...I'm not sure which would have been worse.

I arrived at the airport, and actually cruised through security without any problems.  I arrived at roughly 1230, and my flight wasn't leaving until 250.  This would allow me time to grab a bite to eat, and take a load off of my feet for a little while.  I was elated to see that the Panama airport was outfitted with the type of seats that don't have arm-rests...you know, the ones you can actually lay down in.  This is exactly what I needed.  I was tired, I needed to put my feet up, and I needed some rest.  Thank you Tocumen International Airport!


After standing in line for at least ten minutes, I noticed a group of fellow coach passengers who had entered another...much shorter line.  I took the risk, and stepped out of line to inquire...thankfully!  I found that this line was for passengers who had not checked any bags...ME!!  I had not noticed the line due to the fact that there were a number of Airport personnel congregating...doing absolutely nothing by the way...in front of the very small sign that stated "NO CHECKED LUGGAGE".  Fortunately I had seen those other passengers from my flight, otherwise I would have stood in that line for a long, long time...thanks Houston Airport personnel!  Go chit chat somewhere else you Jack-Wagons!

In less time than I spent in the previous line, I was through Customs...even greeted with a welcome home Mr. Metzger...a first for me!  Thinking I was home free, I made my way to the gates, where I planned to grab some dinner and rest my old-man, aching feet!  Remember that sound of a scratching record?  Insert it here...

I was less than happy to find that we were being re-routed through security, once again.  I have never had to go through security again upon returning to the States, and coming through Customs...wonderful.  Security was a mess to say the least.  It was as if we were cattle being herded into loading chutes, only to be trucked off to some processing plant.  The TSA staff members were constantly shouting the same instructions over and over..."Keep the line moving folks...Keep the line moving folks!"  They looked to be completely enthralled by their jobs...not!  One of them actually put his hand on my back and pushed me forward, trying to pack more people into an already packed can of sardines.  I turned back quickly to see a knee-high little guy leering at me...my emotions took over...but not to their full potential, thankfully.  I calmly told the little tough-guy "I don't recommend pushing me again"...thankfully, he moved on.  Whew...that was close!

As I approached the tray table...you know, the place where experience and common sense (or a lack thereof) really shows through...I noticed a middle-aged woman who was very slowly taking off all her jewelry, her shoes...and oh yeah...taking out all of her lotions and fluids...which by the way, were not in a clear plastic bag, nor did they meet the volume/size requirements!  She was actually getting yelled at by people behind me...and they were not nice comments at all!  Let's just say it was ugly!  I finally cleared security, and limped off to find some dinner.  It was very clear to me that the Houston airport was not on board with healthy eating.  I ended up at Ruby's Diner, stuffing a bacon cheeseburger and fries down my gullet!  I posted the picture below on facebook, but for those of you who don't follow me on facebook, I have re-posted it here for your enjoyment.  Check out the sign in the background...and realize that this sign can be clearly seen by everyone in the restaurant.  While we, as customers, understand that businesses are in business to make a profit...maybe they shouldn't shove it in our faces in such a blatant manner...just sayin'.

What is the focus of your business...customer service?


Alright...so I made it to the gate, and I must say that I was less than impressed with the George Bush International Airport.  First...no healthy food to be found.  Second...the seating at the gates didn't allow for lying down!  Get rid of the armrests already!  Deep, cleansing breaths...in and out...

I made it home to Phoenix, and I cannot tell you how happy I was to see Donna!  I was home!  I enjoyed my trip and all of the experiences that it provided...but those of you who know me, know that when it's time to head home a switch trips deep within me, and I enter into my 'homeward bound' mode...which isn't always pretty!

Well, I hope you enjoyed my little adventure into uncharted territory...travel blogging that is.  It wont happen often, but at the encouragement of a great friend of mine, I decided to share my experience with all of you.  

For a fantastic travel blog, visit www.travelwithscott.com


1 comment:

  1. John,
    I'm thinking now you know why I have The SoapBox! Sometimes you just need to get it off your chest. TSA, crying babies, check bags no checked bags, upgraded seating or not, less than nice flight attendants oh I could go on and on, I usually do. All in all it sounds like you had a really good experience and put yourself in a position to grow and try new things. Congrats.

    Oh and thanks for the plug

    Scott
    Www.travelwithscott.com

    ReplyDelete