Thursday, January 19, 2012

48 Hours in Panama...Part Two

So now you know who Tignum is...what they do...and why I am working with them.  Now let's talk about the trip.

I was scheduled to fly out of Phoenix at around 830 Friday morning.  Like usual, I didn't sleep well...thinking about the adventure that lie ahead.  I had been going over video clips of the exercises...sorry, movements...that I would be teaching, for the past few days.  I wanted to have them dialed-in so that I could teach them proficiently, and not look like it was the first time I had ever taught them.  Many of the movements are similar to those that I use with my athletes and firefighters however, there are some minor differences, and I wanted to make sure I had the explanations down.  Unfortunately I was unable to turn off those video files in my head...they were being looped in my mind, over and over again as I tried desperately to sleep.  Let's just say they never really turned off...not until I gave up and at around 430, at which point I was officially awake.  Somewhere during the night, I think I managed to get in at least an hour or two...welcome to my life!

The Airport...

Donna drove me to the airport...and kicked me to the curb...OK, not really.  She did however, drop me curbside, gave me kiss, and drove away.  There may have been a few hugs, and maybe a kiss or two more than I just described...but that's not terribly important to this story.  Nice...welcomed...but none the less, relatively unimportant to the story.  I take that back...it's actually very important.  Thanks for the wonderful send-off my dear wife!

I believe I have divulged this information before, but for those who may not have been privy to it, or those who just started reading this blog...I am a chronic over-packer...yep, that's right.  I believe it to be a sickness...one of which I am victim to.  I actually Googled chronic over-packer and was quite relieved to find that there is a great deal of information out there...which I believe means that I am certainly not alone in my illness. There are others like me...infected with the need to be prepared (clothing-wise) for whatever may come our way.  Believe me...when I pack...I'm prepared, heavily so!  This particular trip however, would be different.  I had vowed to not check any luggage...that's right...nada, zilch, zero checked bags!  

Some of you may be thinking "Why would you make your very first trip with no checked bags, and international one?"  That's how I roll!  The fact that I would only be in Panama for roughly 48 hours probably had something to do with it.  Additionally, knowing that roughly 90% of my time in Panama would be spent indoors, wearing Adidas gear emblazoned with the Tignum logo, also may have had something to do with my new found confidence.  Whatever the reason, or reasons...I was streamlined...a first for me, and man was is liberating!

I felt like a well seasoned traveler as I checked in at the ticket counter, proudly answering "NO" when asked if I would be checking any bags...the ticket agent even said "Impressive".  I was feeling good...streamlined.  Okay...maybe not streamlined due to the fact that now, instead of just carrying the typical backpack...I was lugging around a duffel bag with four days worth of clothes.  Hey...I didn't say I had stopped over-packing...I just didn't check any bags!

breeezed through security (by the way, I meant to add the extra 'e' in breeze for effect!) without a hitch...in fact there were only two others clearing security when I arrived...nice!  This afforded me plenty of time to grab a little something to eat, and relax before my flight.  The remainder of the Tignum team (Scott and Tanis) were scheduled to leave about an hour after me.  We would be meeting up in Houston, where we would travel together to Panama.  Knowing this, I was surprised to see the two of them standing at my gate when I arrived.  Apparently, their flight had either been delayed or cancelled...I can't remember...so they were hoping to get on as stand-by passengers on my flight.  Scott told me that there was a chance that they might not get to Panama until the following morning...which, by the way was supposed to be 'testing day' with the Adidas group (more on testing later).  He informed me that if they did not make this flight, I would need to gather up all of the luggage (which contained all of the equipment for the program) and take it to the hotel.  He also told me there would be a driver waiting to pick me up.  

On the outside, my seasoned, veteran firefighter voice said "Sure, no problem...I'll take care of it".  Inside however, another voice was saying "GREAT...my first program, and there are problems...and we haven't left the airport yet!"  Thankfully my years of managing chaotic, stressful situations as a firefighter allowed me to ratchet down, stop spinning, and just deal with it...no problem.  All would be good, and they could count on my to do what ever was necessary...after all...I'm a professional (when you read that, you should say it the way the parking garage attendant said it in the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off).

I boarded the plane, settled into my seat, and moments later saw Scott walking down the aisle toward me.  Apparently he had been given the one and only standby seat...Tanis was stuck.  Tanis, by the way, is the Project Manager...and a very vital part of the Tignum team.  Scott said she would not be in Panama until the next morning, and that we would have to run the program by ourselves until she arrived.  Alright...things were looking up.  Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying it was okay that Tanis got left behind...I'm just saying that it was a bit of a relief knowing that at least Scott would be there.  Like I said...things were looking up.

We touched down, with a puff of smoke from the tires making contact with the tarmac (I am assuming there was a little smoke...that's the way it always is in the movies anyway) and the sudden deceleration of the air-brake flaps deployed from the wings.  Moments later we arrived at the gate in Houston.  Two and 30-minutes later, we were heading for Panama.

During the flight to Panama I was seated one aisle behind the bulkhead seating.  On Continental Airlines, those seats, as well as those located in the emergency exit rows, are considered premium seats...meaning passengers pay extra to sit in them.  Well...once the doors were closed, it was apparent that not all of the premium seats had been taken.  I politely asked the flight attendant if I could move seats, since there were plenty still open.  Her reply..."feel free to move to any open seat".  I asked...again, very politely, if I could move to one of the seats in the bulkhead row.  The look I received was priceless!  It was as if I had asked to sit in first-class.  She promptly replied "Well NO, you cant sit in those seats...people pay extra for them".  I replied by saying "But clearly no one is going to be sitting in them, so it shouldn't matter."  She flashed me one of those looks that said "We don't have a problem...do we?"  I decided not to push the issue...and just smiled back, turning away so as not to have to look at her smug little smirk anymore...otherwise we might have had a problem!

May I sit there?

Uh...of course not...it's PREMIUM seating...stupid!



The remainder of the flight was uneventful, other than the plethora of crying babies scattered throughout coach seating.  Again...welcome to my life.


Tune in again to read about the remainder of the trip, and how the program with the Adidas Executives went...



2 comments:

  1. Oh John you have to learn my friend. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the funny thing is that I knew about the premium seats because I was sitting in them on every other leg of the flight!

    ReplyDelete