Friday, November 2, 2012

A Long Day of Training

Today was my first day back on the bike after nearly taking a core sample of my left thigh.  It's been pretty sore the past few days, and really tightens up after sitting for a little while.  I figured it was time to get back in the saddle, and log some miles.

Such beautiful colors!


I set my mind on riding the Pemberton Trail, which is where the Dawn to Dusk race will be held.  My goal was to get in three laps today, for a total of 45-miles.  I had intended to get out early, as it is roughly an hour long drive to the McDowell Mountain Regional Park.  Have you ever had one of those days where things just didn't go as smooth as you would have liked?  Today was that day for me...well, the morning at least.  My plan was to be at the trail head by 7:30 am...I rolled up at 9:00 am. Better late than never...right? 

 I geared up, threw down a plethora of capsules designed aid in muscle fatigue, replenish electrolytes, and just plain make me fast!  I headed out, trying not to think about the many miles that lay ahead, and just focus on keeping my pedal cadence between 80-90 RPM.  The course starts out with a 6.5 mile climb...nothing too steep, but just a constant climb.  This climb seems relatively easy on the first lap, but the more laps you turn, the harder it becomes.

My first lap was completed in 1 hour and 15 minutes.  My speed fell off a little on my second turn, which is to be expected, and I rolled in at the 1 hour 17 minute mark.  The third lap was even slower at 1 hour 23 minutes. 

The course is advertised as a 15.5 mile loop, but my Polar cycle computer measures it at 16.1 miles, and the iPhone app, Map My Ride, that I have been using, measures the loop at 16.45 miles.   When all was said and done, I logged somewhere between 48.1 and 49.45 miles today, over a total of 3 hours and 55 minutes...burning up roughly 3600 kcals.



You can check out my ride at  http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/200101097



My legs are toast!


No comments:

Post a Comment