Thursday, November 29, 2012

Local Bike Stores...also known as LBS

There are many 'families' out in the world, our real families, our work families, church families...you get the idea, right?  In the cycling world, there are cycling families, and just like nearly any family, the cycling family has it's share of black sheep.  For the most part however, this family is pretty tight, and they take care of one another...like most families.  

When we are out riding our bikes, we wave at one another and say "hello" or stop to ask is someone who is fixing a flat or making a quick mechanical repair, if they need any help...except for the roadies, those guys are usually too focused to even acknowledge that anyone else has even entered into their space.  I kid, I kid.  I love the roadies...I'm becoming one of them now.  Honestly though, they are those black sheep I was talking about.  Just kidding...don't get your spandex in a wad now...I love you all...you are part of a huge family, that I too am part of.  

An integral part of the cycling family is one's Local Bike Store...or LBS.  You see, without support from a LBS, many of us would be in serious trouble.  There are a number of cyclists, like myself, who have relatively strong mechanical aptitudes, and are able to do a great deal of work on their own bikes.  Heck...I have built my race bike four times now.  I better have learned a little something about bike mechanics huh?

There are those times however, when problems arise that require true expertise.  The kind of expertise that only a trained, experienced bike mechanic can provide.  These guys spend their days standing, building and fixing bicycles in the LBS.  This is where they practice their art...and what an art it is!  


These guys, often known simply as Wrenches, are at times, life-savers.  On more than one occasion, I have wheeled my bike into my LBS, tail between my legs, and asked them to fix something that I screwed up while practicing on my own.  Any Wrench worth his weight, will generally show you how to do it the right way...sometimes just so he wont have to fix it again, and sometimes because he truly wants you to learn so that when the bike breaks out on the trail or road, you stand a better chance getting home on your own power.  Either way...the bike owner can learn a valuable lesson.

Taking a bike into your LBS however,  can be painful for many bike owners, as some shops are extremely busy when it comes to repairs.  A bike owner can find themselves without their bike for days, if the shop is back-logged with repairs.  This is where creating a relationship with your LBS can really pay off.  Remember...you are all part of one big family.

I have been blessed to have found a great LBS...Swiss American Bikes.  Swiss American Bikes has been in business here in Phoenix since the early seventies, and are well known throughout the Phoenix cycling community.  The staff at Swiss has saved me many times, by being willing to take a look at my bike right there and then...which is something that many bike shops will not do.

Yesterday was a perfect example.  With my race fast approaching, I was going through my bike, making sure everything was clean and mechanically sound.  I had made some minor adjustments, and was taking it for a quick spin in the street, when I heard it.  You know, that noise that wasn't there on the last ride, and that grinding feeling that tells you something is rubbing on something else, that shouldn't be getting rubbed on?  

Let me tell you, that is not what you want to experience from your highly tuned race bike, just days prior to a race!  I grabbed my iPhone and rudely commanded Siri to call Swiss American Bikes.  Within seconds the call had been placed...I felt bad for being so stern with Siri, but had no time to apologize to an electronic device.  I could only hope that she would not be offended, and take it out on me sometime in the future. 

Sorry Siri

The call went through, and the owner Gary answered the phone.  My first words were "Hey Gary, its John...again.  Sorry to bother you, but I have a big problem."  Gary is aware that I am racing on Saturday, and replied "No worries, bring it in and I'll throw it up on the rack and check it out."  Now that's what you want to hear from a member of your family...that they are more than willing to help you out, right now.

The bike was fixed, and I was charged some ridiculous amount of money...ridiculously small that is!  Thanks Swiss American Bikes, you saved the day...again!











3 comments: