Saturday, November 10, 2012

Adapt and Overcome

As a professional firefighter, I have made a living at being able to make critical decisions on the fly, adapt to chaotic situations, and make it look like it was a piece of cake (when in fact, it truly was NOT).  But hey...that's what the public, whom we so proudly serve, expect of us.  It's kind of like when you hear voice recordings of airline pilots just moments before they crash...utter calmness and professionalism over the radio.  Okay, I'm not comparing myself to a pilot, but the concept is similar.

Yesterday was one of those days when I just needed to let go, release control to God, and adapt to HIS plan...and apparently he was not big on my selling my $2000 carbon frame that I got for free.  I think He was telling me that I should be happy and satisfied with what I was blessed with...and to stop whining.

So I adapted.

As you may remember, my plan was to build up a mountain bike that could keep pace with a pack of road bikes for next year's Ride 430 Challenge.  To do so, would require a considerable amount of money...hence my reason for seeking out generous corporate sponsorship to help offset a portion of the cost.  That plan however, has been scrapped as of yesterday.  I viewed the constant barrage of Craigslist scammers, as a clear cut sign that I was not supposed to sell that frame.  So what then?

Build it up just as it was before...an amazing racing mountain bike.

I have been selling off some of my fitness equipment to 'raise' money for the bike, but I realized yesterday that I should use that money to purchase a road bike instead.  You see, I still need something to train on, and ride next year with the Ride 430 crew.  So instead of riding an extravagantly priced mountain bike, I'll be riding a road bike.  I know, I know...I'm straying from my mountain bike roots, and it's a little disappointing.  If I had money to burn, you know I'd be building up the coolest mountain bike ever, to set fire to the tarmac...but that's just not the case.

I think my decision made my wife happy, and let her know that I can still make some sound choices once in a while...it just takes me a little longer.  

I was scheduled to race in the Cave Creek Bike Festival 25-mile Mountain Bike Race this morning, and once I made the decision to build rather than sell, it was game on.  The trail I was riding has a fair amount of climbing, and it would have been really nice to ride a 20-pound bike rather than a 27-pounder!  So of course, I got right to putting it back together, only to find out that it just wasn't going to happen.  Another lesson in releasing control.

It's almost finished...just need to take it over to my local bike shop for some fine tuning.  Check out the picture below to see what it is looking like.  I have to admit, it's a great looking bike, and the new white graphics really set it off. 







Today was a great day!  I got to race with someone whom I consider both a friend, and a finely tuned machine.  This individual is the one who inspired me to become part of the Ride For Semper Fi team, and has completed the Ride 430 Challenge himself...twice.  This year he was awarded the Yellow Jersey, an honor reserved for the individual who raises the most support for the Ride 430 Challenge.  This year Josh...oops I let his name out!  Any way...Josh raised nearly $50K for injured US Marines and their families.  Strong work Josh!

Check back in a day or so, to hear details about our race today.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment