Sunday, June 19, 2011

76 Days and Counting

Yesterday was my day to ride for 2-hours...the trouble was that I was on duty.  If you've been following me for a while, you most likely remember me posting about trying to ride on the trainer for two hours at the fire station.  Well, it was bound to happen again...and it did.  

My shift at work was a busy one yesterday, and I was concerned that I might not have time to get in my workout.  I know, what you are thinking...and believe me, I know how blessed I am to have a job where I can actually work out...while at work!  Anyway...we were pretty busy all day long, and thought I might have to skip my workout...or at least get it in late at night, which would be just fine due to the heat.

Things finally slowed down around 830 last night, so I got my bike set up, mixed up two sport bottles of Hammer Perpetuem Endurance Fuel, strapped on the heart rate monitor, clipped in, and took off.  Well, I didn't really take of so much, as I was locked into the stationary trainer...but I felt like I was flying!...for a few minutes anyway.

About 2-minutes into my workout, I noticed a clicking noise over the sound of the band RED that was playing through my iPod headphones.  I stopped to check it out, and found that I was having the same problem I had with my rear wheel during the Foray at the Fort race a couple months ago.  This meant that I would have to take the bike off of the trainer, remove the rear wheel, take off the cassette, and tighten the rear hub...or I could just pack it up and call it a night.  

My new favorite band...a MUST for long training sessions!


Believe me when I tell you that every fiber...well, almost every fiber in my body, was telling me to hit the rack because it was sure to be a busy night.  Somehow, I mustered enough will and determination to fix the bike, get back on, and attack that 120 minutes of mind-numbing solitude.  At least this time I was listening to some great music...the band RED...check them out here.  They play some pretty hard Christian music (its actually hard regardless of the genre) but trust me...its exactly the kind of music that helps to keep the pace during a long stationary training session!

About 45-minutes into the session, came my first mental struggle.  Physically, I was doing fine, but mentally, I was beginning to get fatigued...even with the music!  I just kept on pedaling, even increasing the resistance and the pedal cadence, eventually pushing past the weakness.  At 60-minutes I was feeling better than I did at 20-minutes!  I was on my way, feeling great, and had no doubt that I could pass this 2-hour 'test'.  At 1 hour, 15 minutes however, we were dispatched on a call...it was time to go to work.  When I got back nearly an hour later, I thought about getting back on and finishing, but roughly one-tenth of a second later, I changed my mind :)

Listen here Mr. 2-Hour workout...so far, beating you has eluded me.  But mark my words...you will go down!  I will beat you sometime between now and September...I will own you!

I thought you might be interested to see my workout stats for the past few days, so here you go...



RECENT WORKOUTS

Friday, June 17
30-minute High Intensity TRX Circuit workout
454 kcal burned

60-minute Cycling (indoor trainer)
700 kcal burned
15.8 miles

Saturday, June 18th
75-minute Cycling (indoor trainer)
793 kcal
19.4 miles

Sunday, June 19th
Father's Day of Rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment