Wednesday, June 1, 2011

93 Days and Counting

Today marks the 3-month (and 3 days) countdown to race day.  It seems like a long time still, but I am sure it is going to fly by pretty quickly.  I still have a lot to do to prepare for the race.  I have not been on my bike since my race in Prescott, as I was trying to let my elbow heal...unsuccessfully, I might add.  But now, the clock is really ticking, and it is time to get back to the business of Getting Race Ready!

This weekend I will have the opportunity to ride some pretty well known trails in Laguna Canyon...which I am looking forward to.  When I return, I will be starting a new twelve-week cycle training plan, that should have me in the best riding shape possible (for me anyway), come September 2nd.

I need to be in tip top shape, as I have recently learned that my competition is bound to exceed my current level.  In fact, it seems as though I will be racing against people who are far, far better than me.  The races that I have entered so far, have been both age-bracketed and skill-bracketed.  I explained this in my post Foray at the Fort Part 2, but just in case you may have missed that one...I'll do it again. 

Mountain bike racing is divided into four main categories, beginning with Cat 3, then progressing to Cat 2, Cat 1, and Pro.  Within each 'Cat', riders are grouped into age-brackets.  I currently compete in the 40-49 age bracket of Category 3...the bottom of the barrel, so to speak.  In the World Police and Fire Games however, there will only be age brackets...no skill-bracketing.  This means that I could potentially be racing against pro level riders!  I know...it doesn't seem fair to me either.  Oh well, I wasn't necessarily training to win (I would like to take a top ten finish however)...but simply to do the best I could, and represent our department and our state at this event.  So...am I giving up already?  Have I let my poor performance at the Prescott Punisher take the fight out of me?  Absolutely not!  Which is why I will be starting my final training cycle on Monday the 6th. 

I will try to post my daily training routine so that you can see what these last three months will entail.  If you don't hear from me, please hit me up...keep me accountable...please!

As always...thanks for being faithful followers of my blog...only 93 days left!  Then what?  Stick around and find out...you might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment