Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 102...Workout of the Day

Today's workout...a 16 mile ride.  I woke up early, ate a light breakfast, and headed out to hit the trails.  The weather was great this morning, except for the fact that our windy streak is still in tact.  I gotta tell you, I am really getting tired of fighting this wind!  I cannot remember a season when it was this windy, for this long.  It has been over two weeks now, with wind every day...and not just in the afternoon, but ALL day long.

I can remember a time when I used to get up, look outside, and say to myself "Windy...no riding today."  Now I say, "Windy...time to suck it up, and go ride!"  I liked it better before!

Today's ride was very good in spite of the steady wind.  My riding skills felt good, I made some very tough climbs, and felt very confident throughout the ride.  I did have a couple little mishaps however...

The first occurred while I was descending a very steep, tight, twisty, loose, and rutted-out trail, that was lined with cholla cactus.  It looked as though there had been a small explosion, causing chunks of cactus to fly off and land on the trail.  No kidding...it was like a mine field!  About one-third of the way down, I managed to pick up one of the cholla chunks with my rear tire...just enough to fling it into the back of my calf as the tire rotated around...ouch!  The worst part was that I had to finish the descent with the cactus in my leg because I couldn't stop on the steep, rocky hill.  Once I got to the bottom of the hill, I was able to knock it off easily with a stick.  No harm...no foul.

The second little mishap occurred less than a mile from the finish.  I lost the pickup sensor for my cycle computer again...only this time, I couldn't find it.  I'll be buying another one for about $50!  That made today's ride kind of expensive.  Oh well, at least I didn't end up like this guy!

Ouch!

2 comments:

  1. Holy Cow,
    I saw that picture and immediately thought it was you. Thank God it wasn't. Keep up the good work my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John your doing so well! Maybe those of us who cannot hit a straight T shot could use this method to really concentrate on hitting fareways??

    ReplyDelete