Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Day 108...Sleet Anyone?

I am racing in my second 'training race' this weekend in Prescott, Arizona.  My racing partner Paul and I decided to head up north and pre-ride the course ahead of time.  The course is 4.96 miles in length, and is relatively easy in terms of climbing.  The elevation however, turns this moderately easy course into something much more difficult.

The elevation at the start of the course is just over 6100-feet above sea-level...slightly higher than the 1152-feet at which I live, and have become quite acclimated to over the past 46 years.  Needless to say, I was sucking wind during this ride!  

We headed out early...about 6:30 am...and arrived in Prescott just after 8:00 am.  When I got up this morning, I looked outside and saw rain clouds...and it was cold!  I packed some warm riding gear just in case.  When we rolled into Prescott, it was 42-degrees (F) and very wintery with dark, low clouds that looked as though they wanted to belch out some snow!  We arrived at the trail-head, stepped out of the car, and immediately thought about getting back in and heading south...home.  As I was taking my bike off of the roof mounted rack, I noticed small, slushy little BB's bouncing off of the roof of my Honda Element...that's right...sleet!  It was just 97 degrees in Phoenix last week...now sleet?

I was thankful that I had grabbed some warm clothes, as the temperature seemed to drop rapidly, and the clouds continued to roll in.  I didn't check, but I am sure the temp dipped into the 30's before we headed out onto the trails.  It was COLD!

As we headed out, I immediately noticed how much more labored my breathing was, compared to normal.  I was not looking forward to this ride, and couldn't help but think ahead to the weekend, where I would need to step up the pace considerably...it's going to be painful to say the least.  Now I know why the name of the weekend's race is The Prescott Punisher!  

The course wasn't too difficult, technically speaking, but it is filled with decomposed granite, making it thick, loose, and slippery...three conditions that often lead to painful crashes.  Fortunately, I didn't get in any crash-practice today, and made it through the course successfully...no blood loss!  Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer or two for me when I race this weekend! 

The trail wasn't what I prefer to ride on, but the scenery was beautiful!  Riding in the pines is certainly more enjoyable than riding among the spines...cactus spines that is :)  Check out this short video of today's high altitude ride.

4 comments:

  1. John,
    Love the videos, even if they make me nauseous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey wait what about the trail the other day you said you would tell us if you rode or not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose wisely...and did not ride it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am way behind on my two favorite blogs...love the video John keep pumpin!!

    ReplyDelete