Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 115...A Close Call

Most, if not all of you, are aware that I received a great gift of sponsorship from Ellsworth Handcrafted Bikes.  The problem is that I have not yet received it!  This process has been long and frustrating...frustrating in a number of ways.  

First, many of you know that I am not the most patient individual.  This process has required me to be very patient.  You see, the gift I was given was not 'all inclusive'...meaning, I had to pay some money for the bike.  The bike retails for $5300, but I paid far, far less for it...less than 1/5 that price.  The process of me getting the bike has been drawn out for nearly six months, and seems to keep getting delayed due to one thing or another.  

I have been hesitant to make too many calls, as I realize that I'm receiving an unbelievable deal, and I don't want them to think that I am ungrateful.  I decided to make a call today however, to check on the status.  The last I had heard, my bike would be delivered at the end of May...which just so happens to be this week.  To my surprise, the individual whom I had last spoken with was no longer employed by the company...something about making to many promises to people...blah...blah...blah.  Alright, now I was concerned, due to the fact that I had already paid for the bike.

I wound up speaking with the sales manager today, to make sure that I would in fact, still be receiving the bike.  Sure enough...the deal was still on.  When I asked about delivery however, I was informed that it would still be close to three weeks before I could get the bike delivered.  You see, the frames are made in Japan, at Ellsworth's Rare Earth Carbon Fiber plant, and the most recent order is currently on-board a ship, headed to USA.  Once here, the frames will sit in customs for nearly a week before being shipped to Ellsworth's headquarters in San Diego, California.  Once the frame arrives at the Ellsworth facility, it will be shipped to me, along with the components.  I will be required to assemble the bike, or take it somewhere and have it assembled (I'll be assembling it myself).  

I then asked him to review the parts list with me, and was less than happy to hear him tell me that everything was included except the front fork.  No big deal...the front fork for that bike is nearly $1000!



What?  Not included?  That can't be right.  All along I was informed that everything was included for the price I paid.  This was not looking good!  I proceeded to tell him the entire story, and how this process started way back in January...and that I was being given an even better deal than originally quoted due to my great attitude and patience...blah, blah, blah.  That might have made things worse, because he then looked a little deeper into the situation and found that the guy who no longer works there, gave me all of the components at below cost.  Oops!  

I was told not to worry, as he would get with Summer (the girl who offered me the sponsorship in the first place) to see what the details were.  Fortunately, he called me back within the hour to tell me that  yes I would be getting the deal that they quoted me, and to be patient for a little while longer.

So...I am very happy to hear that the bike is still going to be shipped to me...but not so happy that I must wait another 3 weeks!

Oh well...thanks Ellsworth!  I still appreciate the smokin' deal!

2 comments:

  1. They may be employing the "Under Promise Over Deliver" theory of customer service. Once you get he bike you will write rave reviews and thank them profusely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently it feels like what half the business models in the US have gone to "Over promise and UNDER deliver"...sounds alot like a large automotive company in the east that sounds like heneral voters.
    Do we get a fork with this or not John?

    ReplyDelete