Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 94...Workout of the Day

Today I had my annual medical physical at the Fire Department Health Center.  The evaluation that I had a week or two ago was my annual fitness evaluation...done in house, by members of our department's fitness team...which I oversee.  Today's physical however, was conducted by a physician, and is more comprehensive (from a medical standpoint) than our fitness evals.

For the past 20+ years, we have had our bodyfat measured by skinfold pinch...the same as we use for fitness testing, and the same as that which I use on my clients.  This year however, the Health Center decided to implement bioelectrical impedance testing to determine body composition.  This method is relatively inaccurate, and very inconsistent.  When I was weighed this morning, the Dr. noted that I had lost nearly 11 pounds since my physical last year.  He then proceeded to test my bodyfat with the new device...19.9% bodyfat!  He looked at me, then looked back at the machine, and shook his head. Then he documented that I was 19.9%.  I immediately said, "Doc, you realize that I am nowhere near 19.9% right?"  He then told me that these machines were somewhat inconsistent, and that if I wasn't well hydrated, the results would be high.  I asked him if was still going to record that value, and his answer was "Of course".  I said, "Excuse me, but you guys are using these numbers to determine the physical readiness of firefighters, and potentially declare them unfit or duty...don't you think you should use a method that is much more reliable, and rreproducible?" He shrugged his shoulders and responded "I guess you have point there".  He still didnt change my score.

No big deal I suppose...I still passed my test, and everything looks good.

Today's workout was a good one.  I am on duty today, so I prayed that I could get in a complete workout without any calls, and to my surprise, it worked out great.  I did some circuit training this evening, using the TRX and the battling ropes.  By the time I finished, I had used up roughly 600kcal, and cranked my hear rte up to a high of 184 beats per minute.  Good stuff!

1 comment:

  1. That is ridiculous. Some one in the know should not be allowing those things to happen. Although the last time I saw you, you were putting eating desert, I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete