Monday, July 4, 2011

61 Days and Counting...Happy 4th!

Hey everyone, happy 4th of July! 

Not too long ago I posted some videos of the trails I like to ride.  One of those videos was from a trail system known as Deem Hills.  If you remember, part of that video included a very fast downhill section that was lined with boulders...a relatively dangerous section to crash in.  Well, today I crashed there...on my brand new bike.  I feel very lucky to be sitting here right now writing about it...it could have been so much worse.

I no longer have a brand new bike...I have a brand new bike that is cracked in half!  Yep, that's right, my wonderfully light and strong carbon fiber racing frame now has a crack running all the way through the top tube...it's done...kaput!  Now I have to see if Ellsworth Bikes will warranty the frame for me...I am not sure what to expect from that.

I truly feel very blessed to be alive after this crash.  You see, I went head first (at a high rate of speed) into the basketball sized rocks that line the trail.  Luckily, I was wearing my helmet...which by the way, cracked all the way through as well.  If had not been wearing my helmet, I would have been seriously injured.  The funny thing is that this morning about 7:00 am (while I was still at the fire station) I heard a call go out for a mountain rescue at the same place I was riding this morning.  Apparently, another rider had crashed and was semi-conscious, and was carted out by the Glendale Fire Department Technical Rescue Team. 

It's weird... and very cliche', but it all happened in slow motion.  I can remember seeing the rock come at my face, and quickly turning my head away, then feeling the immediate slam into my helmet.  I sat there for a moment, dazed, telling myself not to pass out because I did not want the fire department to have to come get me off the mountain.  When I realized I was not going to lose consciousness, I did a quick 'once-over' of my bike and my body, and got back on the bike.  Happily, the bike was still ride-able, although it was apparent that something was not right.  I still had about three miles to ride, to get back to my truck...it was a long three miles!

It easy to look back on things and say to yourself "I shouldn't have done this...or that" and today is one of those days.  You see, I just got home this morning from a 48-hour shift at the fire station.  I was a little tired when I got home, but I knew I needed to ride...so I did.  It was already hot, and pretty muggy when I got out on the trail, and part of me thought I should just head back home, get up early tomorrow morning, and get my ride in then.  Now I wish had followed my instincts!

Let this be a lesson to all...HELMETS SAVE LIVES!  I truly believe my helmet saved my life today!

Here are a few pictures to look at...
Deem Hills summit...moments before the crash

That bump shouldn't bee there!

A little rock-rash!

Another view of that bump on my leg...


More Rock-rash

helmet damage

crack in the foam just under the top red pad

Cracked carbon fiber...bike trashed!  Just three rides :(

7 comments:

  1. Very glad your okay brotha!! Hope the bike will be replaced somehow. Those helmets are a must!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea...truly believe I would have been seriously injured, or worse, without my helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, we are so glad that you are o.k. I'm so sorry about your bike... but, again, whew, you're o.k.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully you are ok...I'll call you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are not downhillers-and we are over 40! Slow it down a bit (so I can keep up).

    ReplyDelete