Friday, March 25, 2011

Day 52...Why so lean?

Yesterday I was asked to blog about why I want to be so lean.  That is a very good question, and one that really has two...make that three answers.  I know I promised to keep these next few posts short, but this one will require some space...so sit back, relax, read, and hopefully...learn :)

Okay, the first part of my answer is quite egotistical...I just want to be shredded again!  There it is.  I put it out there for everyone to see.  Now you all know.  Moving right along now...let's take a look at...what?  You want to hear more about the egotistical part?  Hmmm....okay, when I was younger I was in much better shape, and I would simply like to get back to the way I used to be.  I know what you are all thinking!  You're thinking to yourselves "John...you're not young anymore!"  That's right, I'm not.  Here's how I feel about the whole age thing though.  I feel that too many people use age as a crutch for not being in good shape.  Our bodies are amazing machines, that were designed to respond to physical activity with significant results...regardless of age.  Healthy muscle tissue doesn't stop repairing and regenerating itself as it ages (key word healthy)...it simply needs to be challenged to respond.  I have been preaching to my athletes and my firefighters, that age shouldn't be a limiting factor to health and fitness.  Sure, there are many disease processes that tend to affect us as we age, but many of those could be avoided by simply eating healthy and exercising regularly.  I have had to use crutches on a number of occasions during my life...I hate using them, and I refuse to use them in the case of getting older!

Moving on to the next part of my answer...

This part is less egotistical, and based more on the concept of credibility.  If you were (some of you may be) working with a trainer or strength coach, wouldn't you place more stock in what he/she was telling you if he/she actually looked the part?  Why would I listen to someone tell me about how to maintain a lean, muscular, healthy body if they were overweight and out of shape.  Working with young athletes is easier than working with firefighters.  The athletes are working with me because they know that I can help them...and they want my help.  I have to demonstrate countless exercises and drills for them, and I work diligently at being able to demonstrate them flawlessly...credibility.  Firefighters on the other hand are not easy at all.  Most of them don't want my help, and feel that they are being forced to accept it.  They are the ones who will pounce, and call B.S. if someone is not walking the walk!  Credibility is key!

The third and final part of my answer is much more involved...and requires a much more detailed answer.  So, for those of you who were expecting a short blog today...sorry!

Let's take a look at what the question really was.  I was asked what my goal was...ten-percent was my answer.  Why ten-percent?  I responded by saying that I wanted to be as lean as possible for my race in September.  Somewhere during the conversation (it was actually third-party) I responded that sixteen-percent is generally considered athletic for men.  Then I was asked "If sixteen-percent is athletic, why do you want to be at ten?"  My response..."strength to weight ratio"...and then came the request for a detailed explanation within my blog.  So here we are, and here's where it gets a little long!

What is fat anyway?  Fat, or adipose tissue, is a specialized tissue capable of storing a reserve of energy within the body.  Right now you are re-reading that last sentence to make sure you read it right.  Specialized?  Yep, that's right...adipose tissue is specially designed to store energy.  No other tissue in our body stores energy the way that adipose does.  Sure, the muscles and the liver store glycogen that is used for energy, but adipose is special.  Adipose tissue stores energy for those emergency situations where food is scarce due to the cold winter, and we may have to go for long periods before we can get back out and hunt for our...what?  You don't hunt for your food anymore?  Well, you get the point right?  Fat has function! 

Fat within our body can  be classified as either essential or non-essential.  Essential fat is necessary in the structure of various cells such as phospholipid molecules.  These molecules are abundant within our nervous system, and without them, the transfer of information throughout the nervous system would be compromised.  Essential fat also provides protection for our internal organs, aids in the storage of specific vitamins (fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K), and is present in the myelin sheath.  The what?  The myelin sheath is a membrane that covers our nerves.  If this sheath is compromised, nerve transmission is also once again compromised.  This is what occurs in Lou Gehrig's disease, or Amyotropic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS disease).  Fat is also important in the production of various hormones, and is the major component of female breast tissue.  So you see...fat is essential!  ;)

What about the non-essential fat?  I could write for days about non-essential fat, but to prevent too much sleeping, I will keep it simple.  Non-essential fat is the energy storage I referred to above, and the main storage of fat is subcutaneous (just below the skin) adipose tissue. 


If I want to produce more force, I must increase the number and size (to a point) of the muscle fibers associated with the desired force generation.  In most every sport, power is generated primarily from the legs and hips.  As a cyclist, I must work to increase the strength and power generating capacity of my skinny little legs.  While they may be skinny, they can actually produce surprisingly high amounts of strength and power...but I could surely use more!  If I want to maintain a desired weight, but also want to increase lean mass, I must lose fat.  This is where the 'strength to weight ratio' concept comes into play.

Before we dive into that, let's look back for a moment.  I mentioned above that sixteen-percent body fat is considered to be 'athletic' for males, right?  Body fat percentages are typically given in ranges, and the 'athletic' range is actually 13-16% (in most resources).  Right now I am at 13.5%.  Essential fat levels for males are considered to be between two- and four-percent.  This means that a male could rid himself of all but 2-4% of his total body fat without compromising necessary physiological functions of the human body.  You see, because we no longer have to hunt for our food, or wait-out long harsh winters, our adipose stores are not really necessary anymore.  Therefore, fat weight can be replaced with force-producing lean muscle, whereby a greater strength to weight ratio is created. 

These are the reasons (and a host of other health related ones) why I have set my body fat goal at ten-percent.  I also believe that ten-percent is sustainable for the future.  Bodybuilders who are 'cutting' for a competition often drop down to 2-3%...that is not sustainable.

Let's look at one more thing here...female body fat levels.  I have some female followers out there (the question was from one of them) so I want to give you all some gender specific information as well.  Essential body fat levels for females are 6-8%, and the 'athletic' range is considered 18-20% (in most resources).  

WARNING...PERSONAL OPINION...WARNING.  Some of the following is merely my personal opinion, with some scientific fact thrown in :)

I like women who actually have curves on their bodies.  Remember...female breast tissue is primarily made up of stored fat.  Also keep in mind that fat tends to follow the body lines created by muscle.  Why am I telling you this?  Hold on...I'm getting there.  Being physically fit is so popular right now among women, and I am very happy about that.  For many years women did not fall into the same health risk categories as men, so engaging in physical exercise was not as necessary for you ladies.  Times have changed however, and with so many women performing the same jobs as men, and being exposed to the same levels of stress as men, womens' risk factors are essentially the same as those for men.  Stress raises cortisol levels within the body, resulting in greater levels of stored fat...and all of the health risks associated with high levels of body fat.  Women are eating the same empty-calorie dense fast- and processed-foods that men are (often a result of office lunching), which is resulting in...you got it...higher levels of body fat...blah...blah...blah.

So...I am a fan of women wanting to be physically fit and healthy, as this leads to less obesity and the associated global financial burden that obesity places on our country.  Unfortunately though, some women just take it too far.  Remember now...I like curves on a woman's body!  Too many women are desperately seeking skinny bodies...trying to drop their body fat levels...getting so lean that you can see their six-pack abs!  In my opinion that is not all that attractive.  Now...if you are competing in figure or bodybuilding...well that's a different story.  But for the average women...not so much!

Remember...I like curves...and so do most men.  Also remember that fat tends to follow the body lines created by muscle.  So...if you are cutting your body fat levels, and want to maintain curves...you need to hit the weights!  Resistance training will help to provide increases in size and tone to your muscles, and help to maintain those attractive curves.  

I hope his has helped to answer the question as to why I want to be as lean as I do.  Thanks for the question!


Until next time...

8 comments:

  1. John,
    This is excellent information. I am not sure what I will do with it today, but I am sure I will use it in the future. As I to could afford to improve my Body Fat %. Are there ways to control the Cortisol levels in ones body? I don't mean just have less stress, but actually control them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a complicated question that I will attempt to answer with a relatively simple answer. First and foremost...cortisol is not the enemy. Cortisol actually has benefit within the human body...anabolic, or muscle building qualities. But, like most anything in life...too much of a good thing can have detrimental effects.

    Cortisol has alot to do with sugar and insulin. When carbohydrates (sugars) are ingested, the brain triggers the pancreas to release insulin. Insulin's function is to absorb glucose and amino acids from the blood, stimulating muscle to store glycogen, and adipose tissue to store fat. By reducing the amount, and more importantly, the type of carbohydrates we ingest, we can reduce the amount of insulin production/release within our body. The concept of cortisol release, and it's relationship to insulin, is more complicated and requires a much more detailed explanation. Simply put however, greater releases of insulin can trigger greater releases of cortisol, often resulting in greater fat storage.

    So, the simple answer to your question is to limit the amount of carbohydrates ingested...especially the type. The more 'simple' the sugar, the greater the insulin 'spike' and subsequent fat storage. Also, timing of carbohydrate ingestion plays a role in the manner in which cortisol acts. Starchy carbs such as breads and pastas should be eaten after exercise, as his will aid in the anabolic properties of cortisol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you John. Looks like I need to hit the weights... and the mini bands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa...did I answer your question sufficiently?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. What I didn't realize is how low an acceptable body fat percentage could be for a man. I really like the part about losing fat but gaining muscle. I've got to work more on gaining muscle. If I remember correctly there is a really rough way to determine your body fat percentage right? I don't happen own calipers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you send me your measurements...no not those! Take a measurement of your waist (right across the umbilicus), your hips (at their widest), and your neck...all in inches. I have a chart that I can use to figure it out for you if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete