Saturday, August 20, 2011

13 Days...

Alright everyone, we are officially inside of two weeks!  I got some more information on the race course today...not sure whether it is good or bad, but it is what it is!

The course is only 3.3 miles long, so I am assuming we will turn three laps total...roughly ten miles.  Here's the bad news...the elevation gain for each 3.3 mile lap is 755 feet!  That's actually a fair amount of climbing over a short distance.  If I am correct, and we turn three total laps, I will perform a total of 2300 feet of climbing throughout the ten mile race.  That's alot of climbing for a guy who doesn't like to climb!


Topo-map and course profile for the race course (yellow trail)
caption

I also found out some information about what the day will entail.  It appears that I will be able to pre-ride the course on August 31st, which doesn't really jive with my tapering plan, as I am supposed to rest the day before...meaning, no exercise!  On race day I need to check in sometime between 10:00-11:00 am, then I must attend a mandatory racers meeting from 11:30-11:45 am.  I am assuming that during this meeting I will be provided with details of the race, such as just how many laps we will be completing; any trail-dangers, rules, etc.  Racing is set to commence at Noon, and is scheduled to be finished by 3:00 pm.  I have a feeling that my start time will be somewhere between 1:00-2:00 pm.  The awards ceremony is set to kick off at 4:00 pm.

Then, for me, it's off to pack up my bike for our return trip to Phoenix, grab some dinner and wine (of course), then shut it down so we can be up and ready for an early morning flight back home. 

1 comment: