Wednesday, August 10, 2011

23 Days...

Wow...it seems like just yesterday there were 24 days left...like I said, time is moving fast! :)  I had a great ride this morning on my race bike.   I feel like I am really starting to get the hang of this new bike, and I have found that it is so much more maneuverable than my full suspension bike.  I suppose that is due to the race oriented frame geometry, and to some degree, the weight (or lack thereof) of the bike.  It just seems really easy to throw around underneath me.  

Just a couple of days ago, I was talking about the possibility of selling the frame after my race, and using that money to buy another Ellsworth full suspension frame, building it up with all of the new parts from this bike.  My reason for considering this alternative is due to my dislike for the way this bike handles on rocky terrain.  After today's ride however, which just so happened to be on some pretty rough stuff, I am not s sure that I want to sell it.  We'll see after some more time in the saddle.  Today felt really good...and fast!

I had two relatively scary moments today though...although none of them had anything to do with my bike.  First, a Red Racer snake darted out right in front of me...which startled me for a moment, as I was traveling pretty quickly, weaving in and out of some precariously placed Cholla cacti. As quickly as I became startled, my mind was set at ease as I recognized the beautiful pinkish-red coloring of the non-venomous snake.  The Red-Racer is also known as a Coachwhip Snake, and is indigenous to many of the southwestern states.  They have been called the fastest snakes alive, hence the name Red Racer.  This snake was big...close to five feet long!  It quickly crossed the trail in front of me, then paralleled the trail for about ten feet, slithering along right next to me, allowing me to get a feel for just how fast and long he was.  As soon as he saw an escape route, he was gone in the blink of an eye.

The non-venomous Red Racer Snake

The next startling experience came about one mile later, as I approached what many riders call Shooter's Bluff.  This is an area where people come out to fire off a few rounds of their favorite ammo.  It's actually a great place to shoot, as it does not cross any trails, and targets can be placed up against a soft bluff area that has been gouged out of the earth by occasional flooding.  It is common to hear the rounds being fired off from quite some distance, thereby warning those who may be approaching, that there is some shooting taking place, and to be cautious.  This time however, I did not hear any shooting until I was in very close proximity...which is why it was a little unnerving when I heard the first rounds.  These weren't just any ol' rounds though...it was clear that these were automatic weapons, and there were at least two of them being fired.  It was extremely loud, and I could not see just where the shooters were.  So needless to say, I found some extra energy to hammer the pedals, and get the heck out of there quickly!

Well...I made it back to the car without getting shot or bit by a snake!  The ride was great, and like I said, I am starting to feel much more comfortable on my new bike, as I begin to understand the subtle differences in the way it feels and handles compared to my other bike.  

Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment