Tuesday, August 9, 2011

24 Days...

Time is ticking by faster than ever!  Only 24 days left until my race...which means that I only have 20 training days left...I better get working huh?  The Games are starting to take shape...what I mean by that is many of the unknowns are becoming known. 

I now know that I must register in person at the Jacob Javits Center in New York City prior to my event.  I registered for the Games, and payed my fees (not cheap by the way...everything is expensive in New York!) quite some time ago, but in an attempt to keep the legitimacy of the Games intact, each athlete must register in person, showing proper ID from their fire service or law enforcement organization.

 

This will be my badge...
...and this is Donna's...with pics of course.
 Once proper identification has been shown, athletes and registered guests will receive their official credentials, which must be displayed at all times.  The picture below shows what the blank badges look like.  I tried to download a copy of the badge with picture and athlete number on it, but then realized that for the same reason we must show ID, our badges cannot be printed out prior to the Games.  Just in case you are interested...the athlete's (or guest's) ID number will appear inside the 'tear marks', a head shot appears in the head shot area, and the Flag of origin is displayed next to the ID picture.  I will be proud to display (and represent) the United States!  I believe I am only one of three US athletes in my age bracket...and the only one from our great state of Arizona!  I'll do my best to represent!
The Jacob Javits Convention Center




I also found out that there are currently twenty-seven competitors in my event...that's larger than any race I have competed in yet.  The WPFG organization has set up a Facebook-esque website that allows competitors and guests to connect with one another, and even track the athletes' results.  As I was perusing the site, I was checking out my competition...and I must say that it looks pretty stiff!  Many of my fellow mountain bike competitors are also competing in a number of additional cycling events...which tells me that they are pretty hardcore cyclists.  So it appears that my quest for finishing in the top ten will be quite challenging.  Bring it on!

What I still don't know are the specifics of the race course.  Very little information has been released regarding the cross country mountain bike course.  I do know that it is scheduled to take place at the Diablo Freeride Park in Vernon, New Jersey.  The Diablo Freeride Park is internationally known as one of the best downhill and freeride parks in the World.  Their website however, makes no mention of any cross country trails, which leads me to believe that they may be cutting a trail just for the Games.  This is what has been released:

COURSE DESCRIPTIONS:
Cross Country: is approximately a 6 miles loop course with single track and old fire road of
varying terrain with small rock sections, possible water crossings and significant elevation
changes with climbing sections of 500 to 600 feet per lap. The duration of the event is about 1.5
hours.

The typical length of this style of race is 10-12 miles therefore, I am assuming we will be making two loops to complete the race.  I am also assuming that we might be climbing up some of the world famous downhill sections...ugh!

Gotta go train!











No comments:

Post a Comment