Friday, August 26, 2011

7 Days...Well, maybe.

Ok everyone, as of today, I am officially one week away from race day.  I am in great riding shape, I have shed roughly 15 pounds of fat from my body...there is no question that I am ready to race.  The question that remains however, is will there even be a race now?

As I am sure you are all aware, there's this little storm off the east coast...I think they're calling it a hurricane..Irene, I believe.  Well, that little storm is projected to pack quite punch!  So much so, that New York Mayor Bloomberg cancelled all events for Sunday the 28th...which obviously includes a number of World Police and Fire Games events.


A direct path into the New York, New Jersey area!

 I really have nothing at all to complain about...I am truly blessed!
Two of my team mates who were scheduled to compete in the triathlon, found there flights to be cancelled early yesterday morning.  As the day went on, they also learned that the triathlon had been cancelled, effectively ending their plans to compete in the Games.

One of my other team mates, who I have been training for the past seven months, is scheduled to compete in an event known as The Toughest Competitor Alive competition.  He actually made it out yesterday, albeit, nearly eight hours later than scheduled!  My concern is that he is now in New York, when everyone is being asked to leave...hmmm.

I will be very disappointed if my race gets cancelled...I was really looking forward to testing myself against an international field of competitors.  I will not however, be angry.  Whether I race or not, I cannot deny that I have benefited from this journey thus far.  I am in the best shape I have been in for years, I have learned that
I can push my body beyond what I thought I was capable of, and I ended up with a beautiful new bike! 

If I do race, this is most likely what it will be like!
What I (and everyone else) should be concerned about is the safety and welfare of those 65 million Americans who are being threatened by Irene.  Let's pray for their safety...and maybe throw in a little prayer that I might get to race after all!

1 comment:

  1. I'm praying for you buddy. I am praying that whatever happens you will be satisfied with the end result, whether you go or not, your safety is the most important thing, along with the other 64,999,999 people. Either way I will be partying with you in about a week.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete