Wednesday, August 17, 2011

16 Days...

Not much going on today...I'll just be getting in a good strength workout as soon as I am finished typing this up.  Yesterday, I went through my race bike, getting it cleaned up and putting new racing tires on. I will most likely ride it once...maybe twice more before packing it up for the big trip.  The racing tires are not for everyday use...they are very light, and nowhere near as beefy as the tires I usually run on my bike.  I have heard that the tires I normally run are a little overkill for the terrain in New Jersey, so I figured I could shed a little weight by using the racing tires that Ellsworth Bikes sent me.  

My Beefy everyday tires...


As you can see in the pictures below, the knobs on the race tires are much smaller and and not as tall as those on my normal tires.  I am a little concerned about this, so I will definitely need to get at least one ride in with these new tires, so that I can see how they handle.  If I don't like them, I'll swap them back out and just go with the overkill!  I really don't want to crash!


...and my 'not so beefy' race tires

I can't remember whether or not I shared with all of you the deal I received on my bike transport case.  Tri-All 3 Sports is a small company out of San Clemente, California.  They make, hands-down, the best bike transport cases, and are used by a great number of professional cyclists, triathletes, etc.  Their cases are not cheap however, but I was fortunate enough to get a partial sponsorship from the company owner Bill Langford, who was sympathetic to my needs.  He offered to sell our team cases for wholesale cost...which by the way, is a savings of over $300 per case!  I was the only one who took him up on his offer, so in turn I promised to take pictures of the packing process, and even do a short You-tube video for him that he could place on his website.  Thanks Bill and Tri All 3 Sports!

Bike luggage! Thanks Tri All 3 Sports!

How is that bike going to fit in there?

Well, I think that is all for today...oh wait...one more thing.  I received the final art revisions yesterday for the custom jersey I am having made (actually two jerseys...one for me, and one for Paul...the other mountain bike racer on our team) for or race.  I'll explain what everything on the jersey represents...On the front is my bike sponsor Ellsworth (they got top billing for their huge support!)  On the left sleeve is the Sun City Fire Department Maltese, and on the right sleeve I have placed a 9-11 Memorial logo in honor of those who perished during the attacks on the World Trade Center.  The side panels of the jersey display the logos of Athletes' Performance (who gave both money and nutritional product and services) and TRX (who generously donated a TRX Suspension Training system to each member of the team, for training).  On the back of the jersey, I have placed the words KEEP BACK 500 FEET, which is often seen on the back of fire trucks...I thought it was fitting.  Finally, on the water bottle pockets that are on the back of the jersey, I have placed a saying familiar to firefighters, honoring the 343 firefighters killed on 9-11...Never Forget 343.

My race Jersey...that I'll wear in New Jersey...


1 comment:

  1. Totally awesome design!! Love it. This is just so exciting and every day as you count down must just be a little more nervous making! It's as it should be. Drink it all in.

    ReplyDelete