Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 10...Time to take a peek

I figured today was as good of a time as any to take a quick peek to see where I am...after all, I am three days into my second week, and my goal was to lose a pound a week...right?  I needed to lose 12 pounds of fat to reach my initial goal of 14% body fat, and I gave myself 12 weeks to accomplish it.  Now that is the kind of math I love!  Easy huh? 

It is widely accepted that healthy, sustainable weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week, as research has shown that greater amounts of weight loss are typically associated with decreased lean muscle mass...I also call it the factory, as you may remember from my previous posts.  Just as with any factory, decreasing the rate of production will decrease the rate of output.  In the muscle factory setting, decreasing the size of muscle fibers decreases the productivity level of the factory, which means the rate of fat oxidation (burn) is slowed, and the process is delayed or halted. 

Have you ever heard the term skinny fat?  What does that mean anyway?  The term skinny fat refers to those people who appear to be thin, but still have a high percentage of body fat, both subcutaneous (what we see externally) and visceral (fat within the body).  Often times people who have undergone crash diets appear thinner, but have actually lost very little body fat.  I know what you're thinking..."If that is true, then where does the lost weight come from?"  Body fluids and muscle tissue!  Believe it or not, this often leads to an increase in total body fat percentage!  "How is that possible?" you ask.  Remember that the term body fat percentage refers to what percent of total body weight is actually fat.  So...if I reduce my total body weight by reducing lean muscle mass and body fluids, but don't reduce my body fat by a significant level...then my new and improved? body fat percentage could be even higher than before.  Does that make sense?  Case in point...three years ago we implemented a 'biggest loser' weight loss campaign within the fire department.  Members underwent circumference measurements, body fat testing, and were weighed.  Participants would have 12-weeks to reduce their bodyfat levels, and winners would be determined based not on total body weight lost, but on total body fat lost. 

Each member was counseled on the proper methods of healthy, sustainable body fat reduction, and sent on their way to a new and improved body.  Throughout the competition, it was evident that one individual was determined to lose the most weight, regardless.  This individual's body fat percentage was determined to be 26% at the initial weigh-in.  At the close of the competition, the individual had lost 31 pounds!  I remember him saying prior to weigh-in that he was "starving", and "dying of thirst".  At 31 pounds of weight loss, one would think that he would win, right?  WRONG!  While he was 31 pounds lighter his body fat percentage only dropped by 1%!  He was then classified as skinny fat!   I also classified him as the biggest loser!  I know, I know, but he was really quite a jerk about the whole thing!  I mean, come on...all he had to do was follow the plan I gave him...I even provided him with sample meal plans for crying out loud!  Anyway...

How many of you own a scale?  I know at least one person who is reading this that doesn't...and she is probably smiling right now :)  This individual, and many, many others, don't want to know their weight...they simply want to look better naked...and clothed!  That is great, and I have no issues with that.  However, for some (me for instance) regular weigh-ins are a necessity.  Those who choose not to weigh typically don't have a strict time table for their weight loss...they simply want to look better sometime in the not too distant future.  Additionally, these people don't usually fall into the category of obese either.  If you are obese, or you are on a time-line to reach your goals, I believe regular weigh-ins are absolutely necessary.  In my case, I need to know that my program is working.  If I don't monitor it through regular weigh-ins, I am shooting blind, so to speak.  So how often should one weigh in?  Nutritionists, physicians, and other health/fitness pros recommend no more than twice per week.  It is recommended to combine your weigh-in with some form of anthropometric testing such as circumference or body fat measurements, to monitor the healthfulness of your weight loss.  I have decided to weigh myself every Thursday (just an arbitrary decision in case you are interested).  I will also check my body fat to make sure all is well, and that I do not become the biggest loser!

So here are my stats, and I am happy to say that even though I have already had a few hiccups along the way, I am right on track to achieve my initial goal.  A testimony to the power of exercise!

Total body weight - 190 pounds (4 lbs lost...might need to increase kcal...I'll wait another week to see).

Body Fat % - 17.1 (down from 18.8%)

Waist 34 3/4" ( down 1/4"...could simply be water weight...too soon to tell)
Hips 37 3/4" (no change)
Chest 43 1/2" (1/2" loss...could be water, fat, or just a bad measurement)
Shoulders 47 1/2" (down from 51"...probably not correct...but showing some progress when combined with the chest measurement)

So...there is some change, but as I noted above, it is too soon to tell if the changes are due to water weight loss, muscle loss, fat loss, or a combination.   My guess is that it is a combination of all three!  The good news is that I am on track at this point.  I will need to monitor it close though, and make appropriate modifications to maintain the sustainability and healthiness of my plan.

Thanks to those of you who have become followers!  Those of you who haven't...really?  Just kidding! Well, sort of...come on, get on board!  Thanks for reading!

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Man bro I am totally skinny fat...i want to become fit someday. My body fat is way high every time I have it checked. Is the sonic measurement our nurse at work uses accurate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it is just as accurate as the pinch method that I use. All methods other than hydrostatic weighing have some degree of + or - Alot of it has to do with how good the individual is who is doing it. As long as you are using the same method each time, it doesnt matter, since you have already established a base with that method. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete