Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 8...getting on track

Starting this program prior to a pre-planned, early Valentine's Day trip to Flagstaff, probably wasn't the smartest thing I have ever done!

While I tried to moderate what, and how much I ate, I still didn't stay within the parameters of my plan.  I am happy to say however, that I am back on track, with no hiccups on the horizon...none that I can see anyway!

In my last post, I realized that my recommended daily caloric intake range began at what I was already taking in, and maxed out at over 4000 kcal per day!  So...the predicament I found myself in was how to create a caloric deficit while maintaining enough calories to sustain my training.  To do this correctly required some time looking at the physical demands and approximate caloric expenditure of my daily training sessions.

Each week consists of seven days of training however, each day is different, and as such, each day produces a different caloric expenditure.  For example, day one of each week (sunday) is my rehab/regen day.  On this day, I will perform light exercise such as walking, followed by low intensity exercises designed to help regenerate muscle and connective tissues damaged during the previous six days of training.  The caloric expenditure is relatively low, so on that day I will reduce my caloric intake to 2200-2500 kcal, and make sure I expend approximately 150-200 kcal during my low intensity workout.  Days 2, 4, 6, and 7 are bike days, each of which have a specific focus, such as AT (anaerobic threshold), power, technical skills, etc. therefore, each day will have significantly different energy output levels.  On these days, I will be consuming the minimum number of calories (3000), and create the required deficit (and more) will be created through training alone.  Days 3 and 5 will be strength training days, so depending on the type of workout and the duration, I will consume between 2800 and 2500 kcal per strength training day.

Does this all make sense?  Along the way I will monitor my weight, and keep track of my body fat percentage.  I will also be monitoring my ability to maintain high levels of output during my training sessions, and adjust as necessary.

Alright, now that all the boring stuff is out of the way, my future posts will basically keep you up to date on my progress, and give you some insight into my training program, as I explain what my workouts consisted of, and how I feel/felt, and what adjustments I may need to make.

PLEASE, PLEASE, become a true FOLLOWER of my blog by taking a few minutes to register...Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment