Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 14...Happy Valentine's Day!

Today began with an early morning physical therapy session for my elbow.  The last two days have been a little uncomfortable, as the Depomedrol injection really 'set-in' and began to attack the inflammation in and around the joint capsule of my elbow.  Yesterday, I didn't even feel like trying to type one-handed again, so I simply chose not to post to my blog. 

Today however, I am happy to say, I am beginning to feel better.  Therapy was not as brutal as usual...the deep tissue scraping was still uncomfortable, but the pain level had dropped from a 9 out of 10, to a 7 or 8.  Now that's progress! 

Today's workout was relatively light...only a 30-minute spin session on the indoor trainer.  As easy as that may sound, today's workout focused on 'cleaning up' my spin technique, getting rid of 'dead spots' within each revolution of the pedals.  Quite often, these dead spots are caused by differences between the right and left leg.  To help eliminate these right/left deficiencies, single-leg pedaling intervals are performed, followed by normal spinning with both feet, followed again by single-leg work.  The intensity is kept relatively low, but I have to tell you I was quite surprised how demanding it is to perform smooth spinning revolutions with a single leg...and it lights up the hip-flexors too!

I hope everyone had a great Valentines Day...I know I did!

2 comments:

  1. So what regiment are you following to improve your spinning...man I miss the days on my road bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My training plan includes some specific drills for improving spinning. I did one the other day that used intervals of single leg spinning to try and eliminate the dead spots within each revolution. It was actually pretty tough, but then when you used both legs, there was a significant improvement...pretty instant!

    ReplyDelete