Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 23: Dreaming about riding...oh yeah, and hCG

I woke up in the middle of the night sweating.  As I began to realize where I was, disappointment started to set in.  You see, I was dreaming that I was back on my bike, flying down some flowing single-track, pushing it to the limit...I was having fun.  Then suddenly I was back to reality, realizing that my bike is still securely attached to my trainer in the garage, and that the sweat was simply due to another little bout of male menopause!  I need to get back on my bike!  As I write this, I am seriously thinking about taking it out for an easy ride...what's the worst that can happen anyway?  If I don't take it out, I'm stuck riding for an hour and fifteen in the garage today...ughh.  I have one little mountain biker in red spandex on one shoulder telling me to "Just do it!" while another one sits upon my other shoulder, wearing a flowing white robe (which would surely get caught in the chain) and calmly telling me "It'll be alright...you can wait until next week."  I'll let you know tomorrow what I end up doing.

I promised to answer a question regarding my thoughts about using the drug hCG to 'jumpstart' weight loss.  Those of you who know me well, know that I am not a big fan of supplementation.  It's true, there are some supplements that I use on occasion, but I choose them wisely, and use them sparingly.   I do not use any form of supplementation that requires a semi-starvation diet to be followed...as is the case with the fertility drug hCG.  Yep, that's right, hCG is actually a fertility drug.  In fact, hCG is actually present in the human body during pregnancy.

When I put medications into my body, I like to know a few things about them...two of the major concerns are efficacy and safety.  The FDA exists to make sure these two issues (and more) are addressed.  Medications that do not pass the 'test' are not given the FDA stamp of approval...hello hCG.  I'm sure many of you have heard that hCG is FDA approved, and that is true...sort of.  hCG has been approved by the FDA for years...as a fertility drug.  The FDA has not approved the use of hCG for weight loss.

Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG) was first suggested as a weight loss drug in 1954...so it is certainly not new.  It's use was discontinued due to the inability to clearly establish it's effectiveness.  To this day, no proof (other than anecdotal claims) exists to warrant the resurgence of its use.  Those who do not stand to profit from the use of the drug, claim that those who do stand to profit from its use, are, in a sense, exploiting the vulnerability and desperation of their clients.

There have been a number of well structured, double-blind, randomized clinical studies performed on human subjects, to establish the efficacy of hCG use for weight loss.   In the majority of these trials, weight loss was identical between the control group (those who received a placebo) and the treatment group (those who received hCG).  Those of you who have either used the drug, or know someone who has, are saying to yourselves "That can't be right, I've lost weight on the stuff (or know someone who has)."  I'd like to introduce to you, the 'power of suggestion' or the 'placebo effect'.

Many people don't believe in the placebo-effect...a condition where an individual is led to believe that what they are taking should result in a specific outcome.  The power of belief is amazing, and as such, these individuals can display the anticipated (and often desired) outcome without taking the medication, supplement, etc.  Amazing!  Believe me...it is real.  So real in fact, that any sound, clinical trial includes the use of a placebo, given to the control group.  I know,  I know, you still don't believe me do you?  Do you believe in the power of positive thinking?  Most people do.  If so, then you should believe in the placebo effect because it is based on the same concept...the mind's incredible power.
Now if you are like me, you are saying to yourself "Placebo or medication...what does it matter if both groups lost weight?"  "Apparently it works, right?"  True, it works...but at what cost?  Your health.

The use of hCG is combined with a semi-starvation diet of 500 kcal per day.  Those who have been following my blog should know that this is not a sound nutritional practice.  The drug is administered for no more than forty days, and during this time, it is believed that hCG somehow makes the body utilize stored fat at a far greater rate than normal.  The key words in that sentence are believed and somehow.

Let's take a look at some basic nutritional and physiological concepts.  As I have clearly stated in previous posts, the easiest and most readily available source of fuel within the body is muscle glycogen.  When a semi-starvation diet is employed, the body will first utilize the most readily available source of energy...glycogen.  Once glycogen stores have been depleted, fat stores will be raided, as the body enters a state of self-preservation.  This is only after glycogen has been depleted.  The depletion of glycogen stores equates to the degradation of muscle tissue...not good.  Although not proven, the mechanism of action (of hCG) is purported to be the accelerated utilization of stored fat cells, yet in many of the trials, subcutaneous fat stores remained elevated, but body circumference measurements decreased.  How is this possible you ask?  Lean muscle tissue has been decreased.  Again, not good.

Let's assume that it does work as suggested...and fat stores are being used at an accelerated rate.  There are some other concerns that arise such as nutrient, vitamin, and mineral intake.  It is well known that semi-starvation diets do not provide the required amounts of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals to sustain a healthy body.  "What's that you say?..."just take vitamin and mineral supplements."  Sure, you can do that, but the use of supplementation suggests one thing...inadequacy.  That's why people take vitamin and mineral supplements...because our poor American diets of processed foods don't provide us with our minimum requirements.  So why would you follow a 'diet' that forces you to use supplements to make it healthier?

Another possible side effect of semi-starvation diets is cardiac-related problems.  If you are a person who has had any cardiac problems in the past...this diet is not for you!  Semi-starvation diets have been show to significantly reduce nitrogen stores within the body, due to low protein intake.  Nitrogen is responsible for the development and maintenance of muscle tissue from amino acids...the building blocks of protein.  Unfortunately, this does not just affect skeletal muscle...it also effects cardiac muscle!  Compromised cardiac muscle ultimately leads to compromised cardiac function...does this sound like a healthy diet to you?

The problem is that most doctors who prescribe this medication don't tell you about any of this.  They either don't want to run the risk of losing the money, or they simply don't know.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not trying to bash physicians (my sister was a physician), but they truly have very little experience and education in the field of nutrition.  I am certainly not a nutritionist, but I have much more education in nutrition than the typical doctor...amazing huh?

I could go on and on about other reasons why I don't recommend this weight loss protocol, such as the fact that is clearly not sustainable (hence, the 40-day max duration), nor does it help to develop sustainable eating habits...but I would just be regurgitating stuff that I have covered before.  I hope this wordy answer to a follower's question provides some insight to allow those considering the use of hCG, to make an informed decision.

Sorry for the length...the next one will be much shorter!

No comments:

Post a Comment