Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 71...More on Carbs...but first...my bike!

I wanted to share with all of you the great news I received on Friday.  I got confirmation that my request for sponsorship through Ellsworth Handcrafted Bikes was a GO!  So here's the deal...

Ellsworth gave me a $2000 carbon racing frame!  Early on, the thought was that they would donate the frame, and sell me the components at 40% off retail price.  I was given a couple of different component package options, and settled for what would be considered the better choice, in a good-better-best selection.  The process has been long and slow, but as I was looking to get something for free, I didn't want to push my luck by rushing them.  My patience paid off, as I was informed that the deal was going to happen, but that Ellsworth had decided to deck out my bike with the absolute top of the line components...all carbon...and only charge me for the lower level that I had ordered!  I was actually speechless when they told me.  Of course I had to ask why...I mean come on, I'm no pro rider!  Their response was that they felt bad that the process had been drug out for so long, and that I had been very patient and kind.  They also said "You can't race on X9!"  X9 being the line of components that I had originally selected..."You need X0 if you're going to race."  X0 is the top of the line componentry made by a company called SRAM.  So needless to say, I feel very blessed to have received this level of sponsorship from a company like Ellsworth.  The bike is paid for, and should be on my doorstep early May...just in time for the hot summer training months!  So thank you all for following this blog, as I know it had something to do with my level of sponsorship.

My beautiful Ellsworth Carbon Enlightenment 29er...thanks Ellsworth!


Now let's talk nutrition...


We've all heard of fiber, and that consuming high fiber foods provides a variety of health benefits...but what is fiber?  I know of quite few fibrous materials out there...do I have to eat stuff like that to get fiber in my diet?  

So let's first look at what fiber is, and where we get it.  Fiber is simply a complex carbohydrate...now there's a play on words...get it?...simple, complex...no?  Okay, I'll stick to writing and let the comedians get all the laughs.  Anyway...fiber is a complex CHO found within plants...specifically, within the cell walls of plants.  Most fiber can not be digested by the human body, and therefore is considered to provide no caloric or CHO value when consumed.

There are two types of fiber...soluble and insoluble.  They get this classification based on...you got it!...their ability to dissolve in water.  Soluble fiber is found primarily in foods like oats, barley, legumes, and a few fruits and veggies.  Insoluble fiber is found primarily in whole grain products, nuts, seeds, and veggies.

Alright...now we are up to speed on what fiber is, so let's take a look at how much fiber we should be shoving into our body...okay, maybe not shoving...how about shov-el-ing?

The AMDR (acceptable macro-nutrient distribution range) for fiber is as follows:
  • 25 grams per day for women 19-50 years
  • 21 grams per day for women over 50 years
  • 38 grams per day for men 19-50 years
  • 30 grams per day for men over 50 years
Here's the kicker though...the average American consumes only 10-20 grams of fiber per day!  Hmmm...do you think that has anything to do with the amount of good ol' fashioned fast food that has become a staple in our western diet?  

Okay...moving on...time to take a look at the benefits of fiber - that most Americans are missing out on.  Fiber provides a host of health benefits, just look... 
  • provides bulk in the diet...helping to increase the satiety of foods, making you feel fuller, with less food
  • prevents constipation and helps to keep us regular..if you know what I mean :)
  • helps to retain the health and tone of the muscles within the digestive tract...sort of like working out your GI muscles :)
  • Can help reduce the chance of infection to the appendix, thus reducing the chances of appendicitis
  • has been shown to reduce the risk of colon cancer
  • has also been shown to reduce blood serum cholesterol, thereby reducing the risk of coronary artery and heart disease
  • works to help regulate the body's absorption rate of glucose 
So there you have it...a short, quick, basic lesson on fiber...just what you've always wanted to know...huh?

Okay, enough for today.  Tomorrow we'll cover how CHO affects performance...how much CHO should you consume in your diet, and we'll even cover the FACTS about carbohydrate and weight gain...note the word FACTS.




7 comments:

  1. John,
    Congratulations the bike look awesome. The information just keeps coming and coming, keep it up buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay on the bike!!! Regarding 25 grams of fiber daily for women. Can you help to quantify that? I'm not sure what that would look like for the day. Oatmeal in the morning and 5 cups of veggies throughout the day???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a list of high-quality, high-fiber food choices, along with fiber quantity per serving size.

    barley, pearled, cooked 1 cup 6 grams
    buckwheat groats, cooked 1 cup 5 grams
    oats, old-fashioned, dry .5 cup 4 grams
    popcorn, air popped 3 cups 4 grams
    quinoa, cooked 1 cup 5 grams
    brown rice, cooked 1 cup 4 grams

    black beans, cooked 1 cup 15 grams
    black-eyed peas (singing) 1 cup 11 grams
    green peas, frozen 1 cup 14 grams
    kidney beans, cooked 1 cup 16 grams
    lima beans, cooked (yuck!) 1 cup 14 grams
    pinto beans, cooked 1 cup 15 grams
    split peas, cooked 1 cup 16 grams

    blackberries, raw 1 cup 8 grams
    blueberries, raw 1 cup 4 grams
    raspberries, raw 1 cup 8 grams
    strawberries, raw 1 cup 3 grams

    almonds 1 oz 4 grams
    cashews 1 oz 1 gram
    flaxseed (hello benadryl!) 1 oz 8 grams
    peanuts 1 oz 2 grams
    pistachios 1 oz 3 grams
    sunflower seeds 1 oz 3 grams
    walnuts 1 oz 2 grams

    So there you have it...a pretty good list of some high quality, relatively high-fiber food sources. Remember, you can also take fiber supplements, but remember...whole foods are ALWAYS better than food supplements. Benefiber is great, and easy to take. No...and I mean NO flavor whatsoever...no thickening...no chalk...completely dissolves in water...3 grams of fiber, no sugar, and only 15kcal per 2 tbsp serving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And before anyone can ask...Groats are the hulled grains of various cereals, such as oats, wheat, barley or buckwheat (which is actually a pseudocereal). Groats are whole grains that include the cereal germ and fiber-rich bran portion of the grain as well as the endosperm (which is the usual product of milling).

    ReplyDelete
  5. O.k. so today I had oatmeal with blackberries, blueberries, black eyed peas (at dinner) and a home made trail mix with pepitos, almonds and pecans. So by my very rough estimate - probably 15 - 16 gms. I did have a salad for lunch with mixed greens. I didn't see veggies in your list but I remember you said that they were high in fiber so maybe my mixed greens gave me a couple more grams? All in all - not too bad but definitely room for improvement. Thanks for the list and the reminder of how important fiber is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry all...I left off the veggie list! Follow this URL to see a complete list of high fiber foods...including veggies...on my website:

    http://www.scisport.net/SciSport_page/Downloads.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah...click on the little TV screen that says HIGH FIBER FOODS

    ReplyDelete