Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 88...A very busy day!

Hello everyone!  Today has been a very busy day...in fact, the past two weeks seem to be somewhat of a blur.  I have noticed that the frequency of my blog posts has slowed somewhat, and I have not been keeping up on my friend Scott's blog the way I was before.  Sorry Scott!  I promise I will catch up!

It is amazing at what can take your focus off of things that seem important...until something else pops up that is obviously more important, that needs to be given higher priority.  I know that many people (including myself) struggle with that same thing when it comes to staying healthy through proper eating habits and regular exercise.  Now wait a minute...I'm not saying that staying healthy is not important...hear me out.  What I am saying is that there are situations, and special circumstances that often require our immediate attention, and as a result, tend to 'win out' when a choice needs to be made.  This is real life folks, and these are the hiccups that I referred to in an earlier post.  Just so you know...I have had the hiccups for a little while now, and just like the real thing...they're a little tough to overcome at times.  So what is the fix?  Tenacity...yep, that's right, good 'ol fashioned tenacity.  The kind that makes you pick yourself up by your bootstraps, and get back in the saddle.

Tonight is a great example, and one that I am happy to say that I overcame...thanks to good 'ol tenacity.  I am on duty today, and we have been very busy running calls.  So busy in fact, that we had run our 15th call by 8:00 pm.  That's a busy day!  Aside from the call load, the day also presented me with some other stressful situations that I had to deal with.  So...to say the least, I wasn't real keen on the idea of riding on the trainer for an hour.  I knew however, that if I simply blew it off, would just make it that much easier to make some lame excuse the next time I just didn't feel like doing it.  So I hopped on the bike at around 9:20 pm, hammered out an hour ride, burning nearly 800 kcal over 19.46 (stationary) miles.  I felt great afterward...like I had stepped up and accomplished something.  What was the lesson learned?  Like the Nike slogan says...Just Do It!

Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. I love Good Ol' Fashioned Tenacity John. And don't feel the need to catch up, In fact if you start to get too close, I will have to work harder myself. Sometimes I hate that damn competitiveness in me. Although I am happy to see more people are finding your Blog, it is an excellent read every time, keep up the good work my friend. Before you know it, you will be a part of my blog.......

    ReplyDelete